Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Last Updated Wednesday, May 5th, 1:51pm

This page has government and non-government resources for New Yorkers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

City agency Service Updates


Get a COVID-19 vaccine, no appointment needed

  • The COVID vaccine is now available, at no cost, to people who live or work in New York and are 16 or older.


Locations for COVID-19 testing

  • It’s free, safe, and confidential. Immigration status is not a consideration.
  • DOE students, employees, and employees of DOE-contracted early childhood programs and the Learning Bridges Program can get priority COVID testing at some Health & Hospitals testing sites.
  • Call 212-COVID19 to get information about testing sites, advice from medical staff, quarantining, mental health support, and more.


Stay updated on the latest information about COVID-19


Low-cost health insurance from New York State

  • The open enrollment period for health insurance has been extended through December 31, 2021.
  • Get free enrollment assistance for health insurance from GetCoveredNYC.
  • Every New Yorker can get health insurance, regardless of immigration status. There are counselors to help you choose a plan.


Get low cost or free healthcare from NYC Care

  • NYC Care is a health care program that gives you access to your own doctor and services at little or no cost.
  • You will receive affordable health care regardless of your immigration status or ability to pay.


Free Mental Health Support from Thrive NYC

  • There are mental health programs that are free to New Yorkers, regardless of insurance coverage or immigration status.
  • You may also contact NYC Well, a confidential 24/7 helpline staffed by trained counselors. You can get counseling and referrals to care in over 200 languages.


Understanding benefits for workers affected by COVID-19

You may be eligible for certain benefits. Refer to the chart below to understand which benefits you may be able to get in your situation.

A translatable and accessible version can be viewed here.

various nyc worker benefits related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) 1

various nyc worker benefits related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) 2

Download a PDF of the COVID-19 benefits chart (Spanish PDF).


Get unemployment insurance benefits if you lost your job

  • Unemployment insurance has been expanded for many workers who lost their jobs during COVID-19.


Federal Economic Impact Payments (stimulus payment)

  • Adults and families with work-eligible social security numbers (SSN) can receive one-time payments from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • You don’t need a permanent address, bank account, or job to be eligible.


Cash Reimbursement for Essential Workers and First Responders

  • The Empire Pandemic Response Reimbursement Fund reimburses essential workers and first responders up to $1,000.
  • Qualifying expenses include out-of-pocket childcare, transportation, lodging, and expenses that enabled you to perform your duties.
  • Families who earn up to 500 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible to apply for the funds to cover expenses.
  • Funds are available until they are exhausted.


Cash Assistance for NYC Restaurant Workers

  • Relief Opportunities for All Restaurants (ROAR) is giving cash assistance to restaurant workers facing unemployment and rampant uncertainty.
  • Part- or full-time restaurant workers can apply for a one-time cash grant of $500 if they:
    • made $49,000/year or less;
    • lost work or wages as a result of COVID-19 and its economic aftermath; AND
    • live in one of NYC’s five boroughs.
  • Aid is given on a first-come-first served basis.


Financial Assistance for Funeral Costs

  • FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
  • To be eligible for funeral assistance:
    • The death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
    • The death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to COVID-19.
    • The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
    • There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.


Burial Assistance

  • Low-income New York City residents may be eligible for financial assistance to meet funeral expenses for a deceased low-income New York City resident family member.
  • Assistance includes burial allowance up to $1,700 and burial costs up to $3,400
  • You can apply up to 120 days from the date of the individual‘s death.
  • All applications received will be reviewed regardless of immigration status.


Get an emergency cash grant from HRA

  • You may be eligible for an emergency cash grant to:
    • pay back rent to avoid eviction
    • pay bills to maintain or restore utility service(s)
    • pay for moving expenses, security deposit vouchers, broker’s fees, or temporary storage for furniture and personal belongings
  • Here are fact sheets with more information:
  • You can also contact HRA’s Infoline at 718-557-1399 to learn more.


Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loans for Small Businesses

  • PPP loans helps businesses keep their workforce employed during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. Apply by May 31, 2021.
  • The PPP is a forgivable business loan, meaning you may not need to pay it back.
  • The PPP is offered by SBA-approved lenders who each have their own application process.


Relief for Federal Student Loan Borrowers


Free Financial Counseling

  • If you are experiencing sudden changes to your household budget or income due to COVID-19, counselors from NYC Financial Empowerment Centers can help you:
    • Manage your money and set up a spending plan
    • Contact creditors about existing loans, including student loans
    • Draft letters to creditors to lower payments or temporarily suspend payments due to hardship


Vaccine for All Corps is now hiring

  • The City is hiring 2,000 New Yorkers to work on City-run vaccination efforts.
  • No healthcare experience is required for many positions, which include roles in site management, operations, client services, and clinical roles.


City Cleanup Corps is hiring

  • The City Cleanup Corps (NYC CCC) is hiring 10,000 New Yorkers to help beautify the city.
  • Workers will wipe away graffiti, powerwash sidewalks, create community murals, tend to community gardens, beautify public spaces, and work with community organizations to clean their neighborhoods.


Paid Safe and Sick Leave Updates

  • NYC employees have legal rights to paid and unpaid leave, including new rights provided by State and Federal laws related to COVID-19.
  • You can take unpaid and paid leave to care for yourself or family members impacted by COVID-19.


Find job services and resources on WorkingNYC

  • Browse free job and adult education programs and learn about eligibility criteria and how to apply for programs.


Learn new skills through the SUNY Online Training Center

  • Take a wide range of short and free online skill-building programs that will prepare you for a new job.
  • If you successfully complete a certificate and have a high school diploma, you’ll be eligible for automatic enrollment to any SUNY community college or SUNY Empire to continue to an associate or bachelor’s degree.


Access nearly 4,000 free training courses through Coursera

  • Grow or learn new skills in data science, business, and technology.
  • Request a no-cost account through the NYS Department of Labor.


Apply for no-cost training programs through NYC Small Business Services

  • Programs are available for jobs in technical, transportation, and healthcare fields.
  • To be eligible, you must be a NYC resident, be above 18 years old, be legally able to work in the US, and meet selective service requirements.


Browse Immediate Hiring Opportunities from NYS Department of Labor

  • New jobs are posted on an ongoing basis.


Emergency food during COVID-19 from GetFoodNYC

  • Find your nearest food pantry or food distribution location.
  • Emergency home food delivery services are available if you cannot go out to get food.


Food assistance at public schools

  • Any New Yorker can get free meals at NYC public schools. No registration or ID is required.
  • Families and students can go to any school building between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm on weekdays to pick up free meals.
  • Members of the community can pick up multiple meals at specific schools from 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm on weekdays.
  • To find a location through text:


Find your nearest food pantry or community kitchen for emergency food assistance

  • You can also call the Emergency Food Hotline at 866-888-8777.


Reserve a spot at your local food pantry with Plentiful

  • Plentiful is an app that lets you reserve a spot in line at a participating food pantry near you. Use it to save time on your next visit.


Groceries from NeON Nutrition Kitchens

  • Visit a NeON Nutrition Kitchen to get free, nutritious groceries! There is a Nutrition Kitchen in each borough.


Get free fruits and vegetables from CityHarvest

  • CityHarvest’s Mobile Markets provides fresh produce in the 5 boroughs. You must meet certain criteria to be eligible for food.
  • Each Mobile Market has its own dates of operation. From January 2021 through March 2021, Mobile Markets will be open from 11 am to 1 pm.


Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Food Benefits for NYC Public School Students

  • P-EBT food benefits help cover the cost of food that children would have gotten at school during March – June 2020.
  • Funds come in an EBT card. If you already have an EBT card or a Medicaid card, the money will be added to your card automatically.
  • You may call the P-EBT Food Benefits Helpline at 833-452-0096 if you have questions about the benefits you received.
  • Fill out this contact form if you have any questions about P-EBT food benefits.


SNAP (food stamps)

  • You may be eligible for SNAP benefits to help pay for groceries.
  • You will receive a debit card with funds that you can use at many grocery stores including some online stores and farmer’s markets.
  • You can check your SNAP balance on your phone with the Fresh EBT app (not government operated).


Find Food Options In Your Community

  • The Coronavirus NYC Neighborhood Food Resource Guide shows you where to get food by neighborhood and zip code


Current Eviction Protections

  • Most tenants regardless of immigration status are protected from eviction through August 31, 2021 under a State law called the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act. You may qualify for protections if:
    • you had lower income or higher expenses during the pandemic or
    • moving poses a health risk to any member of your household
  • To protect yourself, submit a hardship declaration form now:
    • whether or not your landlord has started an eviction case against you
    • whether or not a warrant of eviction has issued against you
    • whether your landlord is trying to evict you for not paying rent
  • How to submit a hardship declaration
    1. Complete a Hardship Declaration Form. You may find one in your language at
    2. Submit the form to your landlord by email, certified mail, or in person.
    3. In addition, email a copy of the form to the housing court in your borough:
  • If you need help filling out the form:
    • Call 311 and ask for “Tenant Helpline”.
    • Alternatively, is a website that will help you fill out and send your Hardship Declaration online. The site was created by nonprofits to help renters.


Get help avoiding eviction with the Tenant Resource Portal


Get assistance if you are at risk of becoming homeless

  • Homebase can help you develop a personalized plan to overcome an immediate housing crisis and achieve housing stability. You may be eligible for Homebase services if you:
    • Are at imminent risk of entering the New York City shelter system
    • Are low-income
    • Want to remain stably housed in your community


Free Affordable Housing Application Assistance

  • Ready to Rent, offered by the NYC Housing Preservation & Development, helps New Yorkers prepare to apply for affordable housing.
  • Get free financial counseling and assistance with affordable housing applications.


Address problems with your landlord using JustFix.NYC

  • provides tools to help you fight for a safe home.
  • You may use to send a letter to request repairs from your landlord.
  • You can also start a legal case against your landlord for harassment or failure to conduct repairs.
    • Harassment includes asking about your immigration status or using your status to make decisions on whether to rent to you, raise rent, renew a lease, or kick you out.


Report housing search discrimination with Unlock NYC

  • Unlock NYC is a non-governmental tool that lets you learn about your rights and report landlords you believe are refusing housing vouchers to the NYC Human Rights Commission for potential intervention.


NYCHA Rent Hardship Program


Section 8

NYC Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) Section 8 voucher holders having trouble paying rent because of income loss should email

Help for survivors of gender-based and domestic violence

  • Survivors of sexual violence, human trafficking, stalking, and intimate partner and family violence can get free and confidential services at NYC Family Justice Centers (FJCs).
  • To get help with domestic violence, call 800-621-4673 for help from the NYC Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Hotline. For the hearing impaired: TTY 866-604-5350.


Get free childcare through Learning Bridges

  • Learning Bridges is a DOE program that provides free child care to children from 3-K through 8th grade.
  • It is available on days when your children are scheduled for remote learning. It is not available to children who opted for 100% remote learning.


Choose fully remote or blended learning for your child

  • Complete the learning preference survey if you want to enroll your child in remote learning. You can do this at any time of the year.
  • At this time, you may not request to switch to blended learning.


Request a device for remote learning

  • You can borrow an iPad with internet access for your child if they are enrolled in remote learning through the NYC Department of Education.
  • If you need technical support, call 718-935-5100 (press 5)


Discounted Telephone Service Through Lifeline

  • Lifeline is a federal program that offers a monthly discount to qualified low-income customers.


Get free cellphone service through SafeLink

  • SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides free cell phone service each month for income-eligible customers.
  • A private company provides the service. It is not connected to any New York City agency.


New York Public Library WiFi Hotspots

You can connect to free wifi from a public library near you:


Hotspot and tablet loan program

Public libraries may have tablets and hotspots, depending on inventory, available to loan to those with a library card and who meet requirements:


Find a LinkNYC WiFi Hotspot

  • You can connect to free Wi-Fi through a public LinkNYC kiosk.
  • To connect, select the ‘LinkNYC Free Wi-Fi’ network from your device’s Wi-Fi settings, and register with your email.


“Public Charge” Is Blocked Nationwide

  • The federal government has blocked the Public Charge rule as of March 9, 2021.
  • All New Yorkers in need of medical care, food assistance, and other benefits and services should seek the help they need without fear.
  • Many health and social services—including COVID-19 testing, vaccinations, and care, food assistance, tenant protection, and free legal help—are available to New Yorkers no matter your immigration status or ability to pay.

ACCESS NYC Resources For All Immigrants

  • Get information for all government benefits, resources, and services hosted on ACCESS NYC.
  • Available to immigrants and does not include immigration status as an eligibility determination.


Get an IDNYC card

  • You can enroll for IDNYC, a free ID card from the city, if you are age 10 or above. Having an ID card allows you to apply for NYC government services and benefits.


Additional Resources for Immigrant Communities


View COVID-19 Resources for People with Disabilities

  • A list of city resources for food, social services, and more.


Get free financial counseling through EmpoweredNYC

  • Get help managing your SSI or SSDI benefits, tackle SSA overpayments, and transition to work.
  • EmpoweredNYC sessions will be conducted over the phone.


Citywide accessible dispatch program

  • Request a wheelchair accessible yellow and green taxi from anywhere in the five boroughs.


Get help from mutual aid groups

  • View a list of community resources and neighborhood groups from Mutual Aid NYC. Groups are not affiliated with the government.
  • Different types of help may be available depending on group resources including:
    • Supply and grocery delivery
    • Prescription assistance
    • Translation and interpretation
    • Social services assistance
    • Diapers
  • You can also call the Mutual Aid Hotline at 646-437-8080 to request help.


Remote Notarization and Witnessing

  • You can now remotely have a document notarized through a video conference up until May 27, 2021.


Justice-Involved New Yorkers

  • Call the ACS Office of Advocacy at 212-676-9421 for concerns related to child welfare and juvenile justice.
  • The Correctional Health Services (CHS) Point of Reentry and Transition Practices (PORT) can help with medical needs/concerns. Call 646-614-1000 or email for help with prescriptions for people recently released from jail.
  • Re-entry individuals are eligible for certain public benefits. For more information, see the Re-Entry Benefits FAQ from the Legal Aid Society, a non-profit or call their hotline 888-663-6880.


More resources from the City of New York

Last Updated Wednesday, May 5th, 1:51pm

Back to top
Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.