The Child Tax Credit (CTC) is a credit worth up to $2,000 for every child that you claim on your 2022 tax return.
- Qualifying children are 16 or younger.
- Your family can be eligible even if you did not earn income or owe any income taxes.
- The credit does not count as income and will not affect your eligibility for public benefits.
To be eligible for the credit in the 2022 tax year, you should meet these requirements:
- You earned $2,500 or more in 2022.
- Your earned up to $200,000 and up to $400,000 if you are married filing jointly.
- You’re claiming a child on your tax return who is:
- 16 or younger
- The child must have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Adoption Tax Identification Number (ATIN). The filer may use an SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Qualifying children must be your child, stepchild, grandchild, eligible foster child, adopted child, sibling, niece, or nephew.
- Your child or dependent lived with you for over half of the year in the U.S. and you are claiming them as a dependent on your tax return.
- Your child cannot provide more than half of their own financial support.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
See a list of documents you’ll need to file your taxes and claim the CTC.
For each income source of each income earner, any one document:
Wages & Salary
- W2 form
- Records of earnings and expenses and/or 1099-Misc
Income from Rent or Room and Board
- Document that shows amount of income
Child Support or Alimony
- Alimony check stub
- Child support check stub
Social Security Benefits (SSI, Dependent, Disability, Survivor’s, or Retirement)
- Correspondence from Social Security Administration
Pensions, Annuities, or IRA
File your taxes for free online with NYC Free Tax Prep if your family earned $80,000 or less or if you’re a single filer who earned $56,000 or less in 2022. IRS-certified VITA/TCE volunteer preparers can help you file online.
File your taxes for free with NYC Free Tax Prep if your family earned $80,000 or less or if you’re a single filer who earned $56,000 or less in 2022. IRS-certified VITA/TCE volunteer preparers can help you file in person, or when you drop off your documents.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.