NYC Financial Empowerment Centers provide free, one-on-one professional financial counseling and coaching to help you reach your goals.
- Your financial counselor will work with you to:
- Manage your money
- Check your credit
- Set up a spending plan
- Open a safe and affordable bank account
- Contact your lenders about debt, including student loans
- Develop a strategy to reduce your debt or lower payments
- Access emergency government resources
- In your first session, you will develop a list of action steps to help you reach your financial goals.
- Your counselor will ask you about your financial history and ask to see any financial documents.
- You may attend as many follow-up sessions as you want with your counselor.
- You can meet with a counselor in person or over the phone.
- You can choose your preferred language for services.
- Services are secure and confidential.
- Financial Empowerment Centers do not provide loans or grants.
RelatedCash & Expenses COVID-19 impacted Everyone Families Immigrants NYCHA residents People with disabilities Pregnant & new parents Seniors Students Veterans
You are eligible for free financial counseling if you:
- Live or work in NYC; and
- Are at least 18 years old
Income and immigration status do not matter.
Your financial counselor can better support you if they have more information about your finances. If you don’t have your documents with you, that’s OK too!
Financial documents you can show your counselor include:
- Bills or statements
- Copies of your credit report
- Collection notices
- Copies of your tax returns
- Court papers
- Student loan bills or loan information, which can be found on studentaid.gov
Call 311 and say “financial counseling”.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.