HEAP helps eligible households meet their home energy needs in the winter season. The money can pay for fuel, your utility source, equipment and/or repairs. The City pays the costs either directly to the company (heating benefit and/or utility benefit) or to the household (utility benefit only).
- You can apply for HEAP every year between November and March
- You may still be able to receive benefits even if your utilities are included in your rent
- Emergency benefits are available if your heat has been turned off or is in danger of being turned off
- Requires proof of address, social security number, income, and your utility bills (if you pay utilities)
To be eligible, you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Do you have a child under six years old, an adult over 60 years old, or anyone with a permanent disability living with you?
- Are you and the people you live with US citizens or legal immigrants?
- Do you meet one of the following income guidelines?
- You receive SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance, or Code A Supplemental Security Income.
- Your family is at or under the income guidelines.
Family Size Income in a year Income in a month Income in a week 1 $28,692 $2,391 $552 2 $37,524 $3,127 $722 3 $46,356 $3,863 $891 4 $55,176 $4,598 $1,061 5 $64,008 $5,334 $1,231 6 $74,496 $6,070 $1,401 7 $74,496 $6,208 $1,433 8 $76,152 $4,346 $1,464 9 $77,796 $6,483 $1,496 10 $79,452 $6,621 $1,528 11 $83,016 $6,918 $1,596 For each additional person, add: $6,450 $540 $124
If you need emergency HEAP benefits, you should also be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Is your heat shut off or about to be shut off, or is your fuel tank a quarter full or less?
- Is the heating and/or electric bill in your name?
- Are your household’s available resources:
- less than $3,000 if there is a member age 60 or older, or
- or less than $2,000 if there is no member age 60 or older?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.