Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Money for heat and utility expenses

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) | NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA), NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA)

1. How it Works

HEAP helps low-income households meet the cost of heating their homes. The benefit can pay for fuel, your utility source, and heating equipment replacement and repairs. The benefit is paid directly to the heating vendor or utility company. You may be able to get HEAP even if your heat is included in your rent.

  • Applications for the 2023-2024 HEAP Regular Benefit are closed.
  • Emergency benefits:
    • Applications for the 2023-2024 Emergency Benefit will close at 5 p.m. on July 19, 2024.
    • The Emergency Benefit can help you heat your home if you are in a heat or heat related emergency.
    • Emergency HEAP benefits and eligibility are based on:
      • income
      • available resources
      • the type of emergency
  • Other benefits are also available:
    • Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement (HERR) Benefit – helps you repair or replace your furnace, boiler and other direct heating equipment if you’re a homeowner.
    • Clean and Tune Benefit – helps you get energy efficiency services like heating equipment cleaning.
    • Cooling Assistance Component – helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan.

2. Determine your eligibility

Regular HEAP eligibility and benefits are based on:

  • the presence of a household member who is under age 6, age 60 or older or permanently disabled
  • the primary heating source
  • income and household size
Household Size Maximum Monthly Gross Income for 2023-2024
1 $3,035
2 $3,970
3 $4,904
4 $5,838
5 $6,772
6 $7,706
7 $7,881
8 $8,056
9 $8,231
10 $8,407
11 $8,582
12 $8,890
13 $9,532
For each additional person, add: Add $642

Your household may be eligible for Emergency HEAP benefits if you can answer yes to these questions:

  1. Do any of these apply to you?
    • The electricity that runs your heating system or thermostat is shut off or scheduled to be shut off.
    • Your heat has been turned off or is in danger of being turned off.
    • You are out of fuel or you have less than a quarter tank of fuel.
  2. Is your heating or electric bill in your name?
  3. Are your household’s available resources:
    • less than $3,750 if it includes someone 60 or older, or under age 6?
    • less than $2,500 if it doesn’t include someone 60 or older, or under age 6?
  4. Do you meet one of these income guidelines?
    • You receive SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance, or Code A Supplemental Security Income.
    • Your family is at or under the following gross monthly income guidelines for your household size in the table above.

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

Proof of residence (where you live)

  • Current rent receipt with name and address of tenant and landlord or lease with name and address
  • Statement from landlord
  • Water, sewage, or tax bill
  • Homeowner’s/Renter’s Insurance Policy
  • Utility bill
  • Mortgage payment books/receipts with address

Proof of vendor relationship

Proof of your income

Proof of identity

Proof of social security

Proof of vulnerability

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

Applications for the 2023-2024 HEAP Regular Benefit closed on April 12, 2024.

  1. Apply online on ACCESS HRA.
  2. Scan your documents using the ACCESS HRA mobile app available for free on the iTunes Store (for iPhones) or the Google Play Store (for Android phones).
  3. After you submit your application, you may be contacted to do an eligibility interview. You can do your interview over the telephone without having to come into a benefits access center.
  4. You can check the status of your application by going to ACCESS HRA.

Apply online

Apply by mail

Apply by phone

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the OTDA website for HEAP to learn more about this program.

Call 311

Ask for assistance with the Home Energy Assistance Program.


Call 718-557-1399 for help with HEAP.

Last Updated July 16, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.