Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Money to buy food

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA)

1. How it Works

Get help paying for groceries with SNAP, previously known as food stamps. You’ll get money on a debit card that can be used at many grocery stores and farmers markets.

  • You can apply for Cash Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid all at the same time through the Cash Assistance application on ACCESS HRA.
  • If you are eligible, you will receive your benefits within 30 days.
  • Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for SNAP even if you’re not a U.S. citizen.
  • You can allow someone who knows your household situation to apply for you.

2. Determine your eligibility

This program looks at several things to decide if you are eligible. They include:

  • how much money you earn
  • how much money you receive from benefits
  • how many people are in your household

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

See the SNAP document guide to see the documents you’ll need.

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

  1. Apply online using ACCESS HRA. You can apply for Cash Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid all at the same time.
  2. Scan your documents using the NYC HRA Document Upload app available for free on the iTunes Store (for iPhones) or the Google Play Store (for Android phones).
  3. After you submit your application, you will need to do an eligibility interview. You can do your interview over the telephone without having to come into a SNAP center.
  4. Check the status of your application by going to ACCESS HRA.
  5. You will need to recertify for SNAP once every year. The SNAP office will mail you a recertification packet for you to complete and mail back to HRA. You can also recertify online on ACCESS HRA. Once you submit your recertification, call 718-SNAP-Now (718-762-7669) for an interview.

Apply online

Apply by mail

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the SNAP website to learn more about this program.

Call 311

Ask for SNAP.

Call HRA

Call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 for more information.

Visit a SNAP Center or Community Organization

Visit a SNAP center or your local Community-Based Organization (CBO) to get help in person.

Last Updated December 12, 2023

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.