Skip to main content

Homes for adults who cannot live alone

Family Type Homes for Adults (FTHA) | NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA), NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS)

1. How it Works

Family-Type Home for Adults (FTHA) are state licensed, adult care facilities that offer a comfortable, home-like atmosphere to residents. Residents are dependent adults who require support services, but do not need skilled medical or nursing services.

  • FTHA homes are for adults who cannot live independently on their own.
  • Residents are not confined to the homes. Many are able to attend vocational programs, day programs, senior centers, and take part in other community-based activities.
  • FTHA homes provide:
    • a furnished room
    • three meals a day and evening snack
    • medication assistance
    • money management
    • personal care with minimal assistance (such as bathing, dressing, and grooming)
    • supervision
    • social support
    • housekeeping and laundry
  • FTHA homes are located throughout NYC and are limited to no more than four residents within a one- or two-family home. They are private homes or apartments, either owned or rented by the provider.
  • The cost to live in a FTHA home varies.
    • Residents or their representatives can negotiate the rate with the FTHA home provider. This is for residents who are private paying individuals, which means they’re not paying with SSI and Public Assistance.
    • Residents may pay with public funding like Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Public Assistance. However, those rates are determined by the Social Security Administration.

2. Determine your eligibility

To be considered for FTHA housing, individuals must be:

  • 18 years or older, and
  • Unable to live independently without semi-protective care. This may be due to a:
    • Developmental disability
    • Mental illness
    • Physical disability
    • Mental impairment

Other requirements:

  • If an individual has been diagnosed with a developmental disability or mental illness, they must attend a day treatment program.
  • If an individual has a history of substance abuse, they must be at least five years clean or sober.

Individuals cannot be considered for FTHA housing if they are:

  • Wheelchair bound
  • Bed-ridden
  • Have a history of:
    • Substance abuse (and are not at least five years clean or sober)
    • Non-compliance with medication and treatment
    • Arson
    • Verbal and/or abusive behavior
    • Imprisonment

Next section:

3. How to Apply

3. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply by phone

Call 212-331-3722 or 212-331-3351 to refer yourself or someone you know to FTHA.

You could also be referred to the FTHA program by a doctor, friend, neighbor, public and private agency, or community social work network.

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the Website

Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) from NYS OCFS.

Call 311

Ask about the Family-Type Home for Adults program.

Information on FTHA placements

Call the Placement Intake Coordinators at 212-331-3722 or 212-331-3351 for information on FTHA placements.

Call 212-331-3347 for information on the program.

Last Updated May 28, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.