1. How it Works
SCHE gives property tax help to senior homeowners. It lowers the taxes of seniors who own one to three homes, condos, or coop apartments.
- Applications must be postmarked by January 16th for benefits to begin on July 1st each year
- Requires proof of age, income, and tax deduction
- If your property qualifies for SCHE and the Disabled Homeowners Exemption (DHE), you will only be granted SCHE; you cannot get both
- All owners must be 65 years of age or older, unless the property is owned by spouse or sibling, who doesn’t need to meet this age requirement
- Determine the borough, block, and lot (BBL) for your property
More ways to get help with this program
2. Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for SCHE, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:
- Are all owners 65 years of age or older, OR is the property owned by spouse or sibling, who doesn’t need to meet this age requirement?
- Is the property your primary residence?
- Is the combined income for all owners less than or equal to $58,399?
- Income does NOT include SSI or Cash Assistance benefits.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.
3. What you need to include
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
Apply by mail
- Download the initial exemption application and fill it in.
- You will be be asked provide the borough, block, and lot (BBL) for your home. You can use the Property Address Search to determine this.
- Gather your required documents and include them with your application. Your application will not be processed without them.
- Mail your completed application and required documents to:
New York City Department of Finance
P.O. Box 311
Maplewood, NJ 07040-031
- Applications must be postmarked by January 16 for your benefit to begin on July 1 in the same year.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.