Skip to main content

Rent freeze for seniors

Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) | NYC Department of Finance / NYC Housing Preservation and Development

1. How it Works

The NYC Rent Freeze Program helps eligible New Yorkers stay in affordable housing by freezing their rent. The program includes the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Program and the Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) Program.

  • Once you apply, it takes 10 – 15 days to hear back
  • You can qualify for SCRIE even if you have not filed your taxes
  • Senior citizens who own homes, condominiums or private non-government supervised co-ops may be eligible for the SCRIE
  • You will need to send documents. Never mail your original documents, just copies
  • You do not need your landlord’s permission to apply
  • Apply by mail, by phone, or in person

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for SCRIE, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:

  • Are you 62 or older?
  • Is your name on the lease?
  • Is your combined household income $50,000 or less in a year?
  • Do you spend more than one-third of your monthly income on rent?
  • Do you live in NYC in one of these types of housing?
    • a rent stabilized apartment
    • a rent controlled apartment
    • a rent regulated hotel or single room occupancy unit
    • a Mitchell-Lama development
    • a Limited Dividend Housing Company development
    • a Redevelopment Company development
    • a Housing Development Fund Company development

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

Proof of who you are

hide this list show this list

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Driver license or official photo ID
  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal or another religious certificate
  • Passport
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN
  • Marriage records
  • Medicaid card
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Official birth records
  • Official school records
  • Other official record showing birth date
  • Adoption records

Proof of where you live

hide this list show this list

Proof of Household Income

hide this list show this list

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply by mail

hide this list show this list
  1. Download the application and fill it out. You can also pick one up from the SCRIE Walk-In Center or call 311 to request an application be mailed to you.
  2. People who live in Mitchell-Lama or Redevelopment Company development should mail their application and documents to:
    NYC Department of Housing and Development
    Division of Housing Supervision, SCRIE Unit

    100 Gold Street, 7th floor
    New York, NY 10038
  3. People who live in other types of qualified housing should mail their application and documents to:
    NYC Department of Finance, SCRIE Unit
    59 Maiden Lane, 22nd Floor
    New York, NY 10038

Download the form

Apply in person

hide this list show this list

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the SCRIE website to learn more about this program.


Email SCRIE for more information.

Call 311

Ask for a SCRIE specialist.

Call SCRIE using TTY

Call 212-639-9675 if you have a hard time hearing.

Visit the SCRIE walk-in center

66 John St, 3rd Floor
New York, NY, 10038
Open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.