Skip to main content

Rent freeze for people with disabilities

Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) | NYC Department of Finance / NYC Housing Preservation and Development

1. How it Works

DRIE provides a rent freeze to tenants with disabilities. If their rent goes up, tenants with DRIE do not have to pay the higher rate. The City pays the difference between the current and future rent.

  • Once applied, it takes 10 – 15 days to hear back
  • You are not required to file taxes to qualify for DRIE
  • You will need to send documents. Never mail your original documents, just copies
  • You do not need your landlord’s permission to apply
  • Apply by mail or in person
  • The NYC Rent Freeze program also includes Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for DRIE, you should be able to answer “Yes” to all of these questions:

  • Are you 18 years old or older?
  • Is your name on the lease?
  • Is your combined household income $50,000 or less in a year?
  • Do you spend more than one-third of your monthly income on rent?
  • Did you have income from the following benefits?
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Federal Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
    • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability pension or compensation
    • Disability-related Medicaid if you have received either SSI or SSDI in the past
  • Do you live in NYC in one of these types of housing?
    • a rent stabilized apartment
    • a rent controlled apartment
    • a Mitchell-Lama development
    • a Limited Dividend development
    • a redevelopment company development
    • a Housing Development Fund Company (HDFC) Cooperative development
    • a Section 213 Cooperative unit
    • a rent regulated hotel or single room occupancy unit

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

Proof of who you are

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Driver license or official photo ID
  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal or another religious certificate
  • Passport
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN
  • Marriage records
  • Medicaid card
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Official hospital or birth records
  • Official school records
  • Other official record showing birth date
  • Adoption records

Proof of where you live

Proof of your income

Proof of your disability status

Proof of student status

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply by mail

  1. Print a paper application or call 311 to request a paper application form mailed to you.
  2. Mail your completed and signed application along with the supporting documents to:
    Rent Freeze Program – DRIE
    P.O. Box 3179
    Union, NJ 07083

Applications forms are available in Chinese, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, and Spanish. Forms in Bengali are available from the center or 311.

Download the form

Apply by phone

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit DRIE website to learn more about this program.

Review the Rent Freeze Program (SCRIE and DRIE) and COVID-19 frequently asked questions.

Email DRIE

Email DRIE for more information.

Call 311

Ask for DRIE specialists.

Call DRIE using TTY

Call 212-639-9675 if you have a hard time hearing.

Last Updated Tuesday, August 10th, 9:50am

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.