The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) protects your home and belongings in the event of a flood. Traditional homeowners and renters insurance does not cover flood damage. A federal flood insurance policy is the only way to make sure your home is covered.
- Where it can rain, it can flood. Even if your home is not on the coast flood insurance is available.
- Policies are available for all NYC residents, including renters and business owners.
- You are federally required to have flood insurance if:
- you live in a high-risk flood zone and have a federally-backed mortgage; or
- you previously received federal disaster assistance for flood damage
- Flood insurance covers losses directly caused by flooding. There are insurance policies to cover your building and/or belongings.
- Even though it’s a federal program, you can buy a flood insurance policy through a private insurer.
- NFIP sets standard flood insurance rates based on your property.
- Regardless of the insurance agent, you should get the same quote for the same policy. You shouldn’t need to shop around.
- FEMA determines how much you pay for flood insurance based on several factors, such as the location of the home.
Anyone in NYC can buy flood insurance.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.