1. How it Works
NYC Care is a health care program that gives you access to your own doctor and services at little or no cost. The program provides services at NYC Health + Hospitals locations citywide. It is available to all New Yorkers who do not qualify for or cannot afford health insurance.
- You will receive affordable health care regardless of your immigration status or ability to pay.
- Pay based on what you can afford. Discounted fees are based on your family size and income and start at $0.
- There are no membership fees, monthly fees, or premiums.
- Choose your own doctor who can:
- help you avoid getting sick
- treat you when you are ill
- connect you with other services you need to stay healthy.
- You can also:
- receive preventive care like vaccinations, routine screenings, tests like the COVID-19 test, and mammograms to stay healthy.
- get mental health support and substance abuse services.
- get access to low-cost prescription medications day or night.
- You can get your first appointment within two weeks or less.
- Privacy and confidentiality are guaranteed. NYC Care enrollment does not pose a risk under the “public charge” rule.
RelatedCOVID-19 impacted Everyone Families Health Immigrants NYCHA residents People with disabilities Pregnant & new parents Seniors
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the Website
Visit the NYC Care website for more information.
Email NYC Care
Email NYCCare@nychhc.org. Please allow 48 hours to receive a response.
Call NYC Care
Call 646-NYC-CARE (646-692-2273)
Get help in person
Find NYC Health + Hospitals patient care sites in your community.
2. Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for NYC Care, you must:
- Live in one of the five boroughs of New York City.
- Not qualify for any health insurance plan available in New York State.
- Not be able to afford health insurance based on government guidelines.
3. What you need to include
You will need proof of:
- New York City residency
- Household income
- Household size
Patients who have already been screened for insurance through the NYS of Health Marketplace can bring a printout of the results of the determination and will not need additional documentation.
If you are unable to provide the required documents, a counselor still may be able to help you enroll. Call 646-NYC-CARE (646-692-2273) for more information.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
Apply by phone
Call 646-NYC-CARE (646-692-2273) to enroll in NYC Care or learn more.
Apply in person
- Meet with an NYC Health + Hospitals Financial Counselor at an NYC Care location.
- Meet with or call a MetroPlus representative.
- Visit a community-based partner in one of the five boroughs.
NYC Care also offers fast track enrollment for existing patients of the NYC Health + Hospitals Options program who have been screened for health insurance in the last six months.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.