1. How it Works
IDNYC is a free government-issued photo ID card for people 10 and older who live in NYC. It can help you get City services, museum memberships, and more.
- All New Yorkers 10 and older, regardless of immigration status, can apply for an IDNYC card.
- You can apply for an IDNYC card even if you are homeless or formerly incarcerated.
- An IDNYC card is an official photo identification card that can be used to:
- apply for City services and benefits like SNAP, Cash Assistance, and Section 8.
- apply for health insurance through the NYS Health Insurance Marketplace.
- prove identity for employment, when given with proof of work authorization to employers.
- prove identity with the New York Police Department (NYPD).
- qualify for affordable housing through NYC Housing Connect.
- enter City buildings that provide services to the public, like schools.
- check out books from the New York, Brooklyn, and Queens Public Library.
- register at many NYC Health + Hospital facilities.
- access your family’s immunizations records.
- open a bank account at some banks in NYC.
- take the high school equivalency exam in NYC.
- An IDNYC card also offers benefits that make it more than just an ID card including:
- discounts for food, shopping, and entertainment, including free memberships to many NYC museums and theaters.
- access benefits in health, fitness, transportation, and education.
- US Veteran designation.
- See a full list of benefits on the IDNYC website.
- Replacement cards are available for lost or stolen cards through the IDNYC Online Portal.
RelatedCity ID Card Everyone Families Immigrants NYCHA residents People with disabilities Pregnant & new parents Seniors Students Veterans Youth (10+)
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the IDNYC website for more information on how to apply and IDNYC benefits.
Email IDNYC to get your questions answered.
Ask about IDNYC.
2. Determine your eligibility
Anyone who lives in NYC and is age 10 and older is eligible to apply for an IDNYC card.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
3. What you need to include
IDNYC uses a point system to prove your identity and where you live. Use the IDNYC Document Calculator to see what documents you can use.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
Apply in person
- Find an Enrollment Center near you and book your appointment online. Appointments are required.
- Collect your documents and bring them with you to your appointment. Your ID photo will be taken during the appointment.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.