Section 8 pays part of the rent for low- and moderate-income families who want to rent in the private market. Generally, families pay no more than 40% of their monthly income towards their rent. NYCHA pays the rest to the property owner.
- To apply for the NYC Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, you will need to wait for the lottery to open.
- The lottery is currently closed. Lotteries may be closed for many years. When they open, it is free to apply.
- If you previously submitted a Section 8 application when the waiting list was open, log on to the Self-Service Portal to confirm the receipt of your NYCHA application.
- NYC Housing & Preservation Development and NYS Home & Community Renewal also operate Section 8 programs in NYC.
- Lotteries for the general public to those programs are currently closed.
- As an alternative, you can find affordable housing through NYC Housing Connect and NYC Housing Development Corporation.
RelatedCash & Expenses COVID-19 impacted Everyone Families Housing Immigrants People with disabilities Seniors Veterans
More ways to get help with this program
Eligibility for the Section 8/HCV programs is primarily based on how much your family earns and family size.
|Household Size||Annual Income|
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?