Section 8 helps low- and-moderate-income families rent homes. Generally, families pay no more than 40 percent of their monthly income toward their rent share. NYCHA pays the remaining amount to the owner on the family’s behalf.
- As of May 14, 2007 applications for Section 8/HCV programs are not being accepted; the public will be notified when applications reopen and how to apply
- If you previously submitted a Section 8 application when the waiting list was open, log on to the Self-Service Portal to confirm the receipt of your NYCHA application
- Affordable housing options are also available through NYC Housing Connect and NYC Housing Development Corporation
- Never pay money to apply for Section 8 or public housing
- NYCHA, NYC Housing & Preservation Development, and NYS Home & Community Renewal all operate Section 8 programs in NYC
Eligibility for the Section 8/HCV programs are primarily based on how much your family earns and family size.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.