Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Vouchers that pay part of your rent

Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV) | NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA)

1. How it Works

Section 8 pays part of the rent for low- and moderate-income families who want to rent in the private market. Generally, families pay no more than 40% of their monthly income towards their rent. NYCHA pays the rest to the property owner.

  • To apply for the NYC Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, you will need to wait for the lottery to open.
    • The lottery is currently closed. Lotteries may be closed for many years. When they open, it is free to apply.
    • If you previously submitted a Section 8 application when the waiting list was open, log on to the Self-Service Portal to confirm the receipt of your NYCHA application.
  • NYC Housing & Preservation Development and NYS Home & Community Renewal also operate Section 8 programs in NYC.
    • Lotteries for the general public to those programs are currently closed.
  • As an alternative, you can find affordable housing through NYC Housing Connect and NYC Housing Development Corporation.

2. Determine your eligibility

Eligibility for the Section 8/HCV programs is primarily based on how much your family earns and family size.

Household Size Annual Income
1 $54,350
2 $62,150
3 $69,900
4 $77,650
5 $83,850
6 $90,050
7 $96,300
8 $102,500


Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Learn more about Section 8 from NYCHA’s website.

Call 311

Ask for Section 8 assistance.

Call if you have questions

Call NYCHA’s Customer Contact Center (CCC) at 718-707-7771. Due to COVID-19, NYCHA’s customer contact centers are currently not receiving walk-in visitors.

Last Updated May 22, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.