Skip to main content

Supportive Housing for Veterans

Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH) | US Department of Housing & Urban Development/ US Department of Veterans Affairs

1. How it Works

Veterans and their families who are homeless can get help through HUD-VASH. The program helps Veterans find and keep permanent housing by providing Section 8 rental vouchers as well as case management and other supportive services at VA medical centers.

  • Call 877-424-3838 to be connected with your local homeless program and apply
  • Case management is an important part of the program, and you will be required to participate
  • You must re-certify each year to keep your housing voucher
  • You must contribute 30% of your monthly income towards rent, the voucher will cover the rest

2. Determine your eligibility

  • To be eligible for HUD-VASH, you must be eligible for VA health care and meet the federal definition of homelessness.
  • You must have income within the program guidelines and willingness to receive case management from the VA.
  • The National Call Center for Homeless Veterans can refer you to your local VA medical center to determine eligibility.

Next section:

3. How to Apply

3. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply by phone

Call the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 877-424-3838 to be connected to your local VA homeless program for a referral to HUD-VASH.

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the HUD-VASH website for more information.

Call 311

Ask for Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program and you will be connected to VA facilities.

Call the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans

Call 877-424-3838 to be referred to your local VA medical center.

Visit an office

James J. Peters VA Medical Center in the Bronx
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

VA NY Harbor Health Care System in Manhattan
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

Last Updated Friday, February 12th, 2:20pm

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.