WIC provides free healthy food and services to low-income women and children which include nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support, health education, and referrals to help families stay healthy. The food you are allowed to buy is listed on a check or voucher and must be used at stores that accept WIC.
- You do not need to be a US citizen to receive WIC
- Requires proof of identity, income, and address
- If you already receive SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF benefits you may be eligible for WIC
- Each person applying for WIC must be present at the local agency at the time of certification
- The NYS WIC Acceptable Foods Guide has the list of food you can purchase using WIC
You or your child may be eligible if you can answer yes to these questions:
- Are you:
- a mother of a baby up to six months;
- a breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old; OR
- the parent of a child who is five years old or younger?
- Do you live in New York State?
WIC also looks at your income to determine if you are eligible. You can use ACCESS NYC to screen and see if you might be eligible.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.