WIC provides free healthy food and services to low-income women and their children, including nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support, health education, and referrals to other programs and services.
- WIC staff will talk to you and determine which food packages are right for you and your children.
- The New York State WIC Acceptable Foods Guide lists the food you can buy using WIC.
- NYS WIC participants can buy food using an Electronic Benefits Transfer card called eWIC. It’s like a debit card and makes food shopping easier for WIC families.
- Food must be bought at stores that accept WIC.
- If you choose not to breastfeed, your infant will be provided one of the formulas on the New York State WIC Approved Formulas list.
- You do not need to be a US citizen to receive WIC.
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the WIC website to learn more.
Ask for Women, Infants, and Children assistance.
You or your child may be eligible if you can answer yes to these questions:
- Are you one of these?
- a mother of a baby up to six months
- a breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old
- a parent or caregiver of a child up to age five
- Do you live in New York State?
If you already receive SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF benefits, you may be eligible for WIC.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
- Find your local WIC agency, or call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 800-522-5006 and ask for the location nearest to you.
- Call the WIC agency where you wish to receive services and make an appointment.
- Refer to this document of records to bring to your appointment
- A qualified WIC staff member will complete a short assessment during your appointment for all family members applying for WIC. This screening includes a finger stick blood test, height and weight, and a discussion of your health and nutrition concerns.
- Each person applying for WIC must be present at the local agency at the time of certification.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.