Skip to main content

Healthy food for families

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) | NYS Department of Health

1. How it Works

WIC provides free healthy food and services to low-income women and children, including nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support, health education, and referrals.

  • NYS WIC participants can buy food using an Electronic Benefits Transfer card called eWIC. It makes food shopping easier for WIC families.
  • You do not need to be a US citizen to receive WIC.
  • The Application requires proof of identity, income, and address.
  • If you already receive SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF benefits, you may be eligible for WIC.
  • Each person applying for WIC must be present at the local agency at the time of certification.
  • The NYS WIC Acceptable Foods Guide lists the food you can buy using WIC. Food must be redeemed at stores that accept WIC.

2. Determine your eligibility

You or your child may be eligible if you can answer yes to these questions:

  • Are you:
    • pregnant;
    • a mother of a baby up to six months;
    • a breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old; OR
    • the parent of a child who is under five years old?
  • Do you live in New York State?

Note: Fathers and caregivers can also apply for their children.

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

Proof of who you are

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Driver license or official photo I.D.
  • Birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  • Work I.D. with photo
  • Passport
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN
  • Medicaid card
  • Official birth records
  • Official school records
  • Adoption record or foster care placement letter (for infants/children only)
  • Baptismal certificate or another religious certificate (for infants/children only)
  • SNAP card with photo
  • Immunization record (for infants and children)
  • Voter registration card
  • WIC Medical referral form (for infants or children only)

Proof of where you live

Proof of your income

Proof of pregnancy status

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply in person

  • Find your local WIC agency, or call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 800-522-5006 and ask for the location nearest to you.
  • Call the WIC agency where you wish to receive services and make an appointment.
  • Refer to this document of records to bring to your appointment
    • The WIC agency will tell you if you need to bring this WIC Medical Referral Form completed by your health care provider.
    • If your child has special dietary needs, your health care provider may provide a completed Medical Documentation Form for you to bring.
  • A qualified WIC staff member will complete a short nutrition assessment during your appointment.

Find a location

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the WIC website to learn more.

Call 311

Ask for Women, Infants, and Children assistance.

Call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline

Call 800-522-5006 for more information on WIC.

Visit a WIC office

Find a WIC office near you to get help in person.

Last Updated Tuesday, November 9th, 2:23pm

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.