1. How it Works
You qualify for free tax filing with NYC Free Tax Prep if your family earned $80,000 or less or if you’re a single filer who earned $56,000 or less in 2022. IRS-certified VITA/TCE volunteer preparers are available to help you file.
- The deadline to file your 2022 tax return is April 18, 2023.
- There are many ways you can file for free with NYC Free Tax Prep.
- Virtual Tax Prep: A preparer can help you file your tax return during a 60-90 minute virtual call.
- Assisted Self-Prep: Complete your tax return on your own. A preparer will be available by phone or email to answer your questions.
- Drop-off service: Drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later
- In-person: Get your taxes prepared for free at a tax prep location near you.
- When you file your taxes, you may qualify for tax credits such as EITC, Child Tax Credit, or Child and Dependent Tax Credit. These tax credits can increase your refund.
- If you get a refund, the IRS mails it to you or deposits it into your bank account.
RelatedCash & Expenses Everyone Immigrants
More ways to get help with this program
See the NYC Free Tax Prep FAQ.
Learn more about tax credits you can claim.
2. Determine your eligibility
You’re eligible for free tax prep if you earned this in 2022:
- $80,000 or less and have dependents
- $56,000 or less and you don’t have dependents
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
3. What you need to include
See a list of documents you’ll need to file your taxes.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
Find a virtual tax prep option with NYC Free Tax Prep.
Apply in person
Find an NYC Free Tax Prep location for free in-person or drop-off service.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.