If you earned $66,000 or less last tax year, the City can help you file your taxes for free. You can file online or, if you make under $54,000, you can file in person.
- File your taxes by April 15, 2019
- File in person or online
- Free Tax Prep sites are open year-round to assist you
- If you qualify for tax credits such as EITC, Child Tax Credit, or Child and Dependent Tax Credit you can claim them when you file
- If you get a refund, the IRS mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- If you file in person, some sites let you drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later
- To be eligible to file your taxes in person for free, your income must be $54,000 or less for the previous year.
- To be eligible to file your taxes online for free, your income must be $66,000 or less for the previous year.
To file you will need to provide proof for the following:
- Your identity: such as a government-issued ID, including IDNYC.
- Proof of income: Forms W-2, 1099s, or income and expense records if you are self-employed.
- Your bank account and routing number, if you want your refund by direct deposit.
- Health insurance coverage: Form 1095-A/B/C or and exemption.
- Child care expenses, if applicable.
Depending on your situation, you may also receive other documents such as interest on student loans (Form 1098-T) or Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099). Be sure to have these forms available when you file you can get the maximum refund.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.