If you earned $64,000 or less last tax year, the City can help you file your taxes for free. You can file for free online or in person, depending on your individual or family income.
- File your taxes by April 15, 2020
- File in person or online
- Free Tax Prep sites are open year-round to assist you
- If you qualify for tax credits such as EITC, Child Tax Credit, or Child and Dependent Tax Credit you can claim them when you file
- If you get a refund, the IRS mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- If you file in person, some sites let you drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later
- To be eligible to file your taxes in person for free, your income must be $64,000 or less for the previous year.
- To be eligible to file your taxes online for free, your income must be $69,000 or less for the previous year.
To file you will need to provide proof for the following:
- Your identity: such as a government-issued ID, including IDNYC.
- Proof of income: Forms W-2, 1099s, or income and expense records if you are self-employed.
- Your bank account and routing number, if you want your refund by direct deposit.
- Health insurance coverage: Form 1095-A/B/C or and exemption.
- Child care expenses, if applicable.
Depending on your situation, you may also receive other documents such as interest on student loans (Form 1098-T) or Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099). Be sure to have these forms available when you file you can get the maximum refund.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.