The Mitchell-Lama program provides affordable rental and cooperative homeownership opportunities to families with moderate and middle incomes.
- You have to apply to each development waiting list separately.
- Apply to ones that fit your income, household size, and preferences.
- Applicants may apply to open waiting lists. Closed waiting lists do not accept new applicants.
- Entering the lottery for an open waiting list puts you in a lottery for the waiting list, not the next available unit.
- If your application is chosen from the lottery, you’ll be added to a waitlist and notified when a unit becomes available.
- It may take several years before a unit becomes available to people on a waiting list.
- Veterans may be entitled to a preference for Mitchell-Lama developments with an open waiting list.
- Mitchell-Lama housing lotteries are only one type of housing lottery. For other affordable housing opportunities, visit NYC Housing Connect.
Eligibility for Mitchell-Lama rental units is determined by:
- The size of the unit
- The number of people who will be living in the unit
- Your total household income which cannot be more than the limits shown below. Different developments have different limits:
|Household Size||Federally Assisted Rental||Federally Assisted Cooperative||Non-Federally Assisted|
- Create an account on Mitchell-Lama Connect.
- Signing up for NYC Mitchell-Lama Connect will provide email notifications when additional waiting list lotteries open.
- Find developments with open wait list lotteries.
- Apply for developments with open waitlists. There is a non-refundable $75 application fee.
Additional Mitchell-Lama waiting lists are managed by NYS Homes and Community Renewal. See their list of developments for middle income families and seniors.
- Find developments with open wait list lotteries. Scroll down to “How to Apply”.
- Call a development to request a wait list application.
- Complete and submit your wait list application by mail.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.