Skip to main content

Affordable public housing

Public Housing | NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA)

1. How it Works

People with low and moderate income can rent affordable housing through the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA).

  • Rent is based on your family’s income. Most buildings have electricity and gas included in the rent.
  • You do not need to be a citizen to apply. However, at least one person who lives with you must be a citizen or have legal immigration status.
  • Accessible apartments are available for people with disabilities. Some apartments have been modified and are available for persons with mobility impairments. Other reasonable accommodations can be made as well.
  • Affordable housing options are also available through NYC Housing Connect and NYC Housing Development Corporation.
  • NYCHA has Senior and Community Centers, and programs that help residents find work and learn how to manage money and finances.

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for public housing, you should be able to answer yes to these questions.

  1. Is at least one person in your household a US citizen? If not, does at least one person have legal immigration status (e.g. permanent resident, refugee, or asylum status)?
  2. Are you 18 or older, or are you an emancipated minor?
  3. If you are applying with someone (a spouse or domestic partner), are they 18 years or older, or are they an emancipated minor?
  4. If you are applying for senior public housing, are you and everyone else who will live with you 62 years old or older?
  5. Do you meet NYCHA’s definition of family, which includes:
    • two or more people related by blood, marriage, domestic partnership, adoption, guardianship, or court-awarded custody?
    • a single person?
  6. Is your family’s income at or below the income limits?
Family size Income in a year
1 $87,100
2 $99,550
3 $111,950
4 $124,400
5 $134,350
6 $144,300
7 $154,250
8 $164,200


Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

You do not need to submit any documents to apply for public housing. If you get an interview, you will need to bring the following original documents with you.

  • Your marriage or domestic partner certificate (if applicable)
  • Birth certificates of everyone who will live with you
  • Social security cards of everyone who will live with you
  • Proof of your immigration status (if applicable)
  • Proof of where you currently live, such as a recent utility bill
  • Rent receipts for the last six months and your lease (if you have one)
  • Your last gas and electric bill
  • Proof of your income (if any), such as an award letter, pay stubs, or SNAP letter
  • Documents showing your assets, such as a bank statement

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

To apply for public housing, you must submit an application on the NYCHA website.

After you apply, you will be assigned a case number and put on a waiting list for an eligibility interview. Use the self-service portal to check your status at any time. You’ll need to register and log in.

Apply online

Apply by mail

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the NYCHA website for more information.

Call 311

Ask for Public Housing.


Call NYCHA’s Customer Contact Center (CCC) at 718-707-7771 if you have questions about public housing.

Last Updated June 13, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.