This tax credit helps working families pay for the care of children, adult dependents, or disabled spouses. You can claim up to $3,000 in expenses for one dependent or $6,000 for more than one when you file your taxes.
- File your taxes by April 15, 2020
- The tax credit equals 20-to-35 percent of what you spent on care for a child 12 and under
- If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- Single parents and custodial divorced parents can also qualify for this credit
- The NYC Child Care Tax Credit is another tax benefit to help families pay for childcare. Parents who earn $30,000 or less and pay for childcare for children age 4 or under may be eligible for a credit of up to $1733.
To be eligible for Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Do you pay someone or an organization to care of your dependent to allow you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) to work or to look for work?
- Do you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) earn income from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee money, or earnings from self-employment?
- Is your tax filing status single, married filing jointly, head of household or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child?
- If you are married, do both you and your spouse work outside of the home, or do one of you work outside of the home while the other is a full-time student, has a disability, or is looking for work?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip).
You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.