Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Tax relief for dependent care

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit | NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) / Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

1. How it Works

This tax credit helps working families pay for the care of children, adult dependents, or disabled spouses. You can claim up to $3,000 in expenses for one dependent or $6,000 for more than one when you file your taxes.

  • File your taxes by May 17, 2021
  • The credit can be up to 35% of your expenses if you spent on care for a child who was under age 13 at the time of care, or a spouse or dependent who is unable to care for themselves
  • The NYC Child Care Tax Credit is another tax benefit to help families pay for childcare. Families who earn $30,000 or less and pay for childcare for children age 4 or under may be eligible for a credit of up to $1,733

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, you should be able to answer yes to these questions:

  • Do you pay someone or an organization to care of your dependent to allow you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) to work or to look for work?
  • Do you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) earn income from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee money, or earnings from self-employment?
  • Is your tax filing status single, married filing jointly, head of household or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child?
  • If you are married, do both you and your spouse work outside of the home, or do one of you work outside of the home while the other is a full-time student, has a disability, or is looking for work?

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip).

You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.

Proof of who you are

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Drivers license/official photo ID
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN

Proof of your income

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection for more information.

Immigrants can make an appointment with ActionNYC to receive assistance.

Call 311

Ask for Tax Preparation assistance.

Find a VITA or TCE location

Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).

Visit a tax prep location

If you qualify, visit a tax prep location to get help filing your taxes in person.

Last Updated Monday, April 12th, 5:55pm

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.