The Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit reimburses up to 50% of costs for caring for a child or adult dependent. On your 2023 tax return, you can claim up to $3,000 for the cost of care for one qualifying person and $6,000 for care for two or more qualifying persons.
- File your 2023 tax return by April 15, 2024 to claim this credit.
- You qualify if you paid for the care of a qualifying child or children while you worked or looked for work. This includes costs for a day care center or a babysitter.
To be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Did you pay someone to care for your dependent so that you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) could work or look for work? Qualifying dependents are:
- a child under age 13 at the time of care;
- a spouse or adult dependent who cannot physically or mentally care for themselves.
- Did the dependent live with you for more than half of 2023?
- Did you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) earn income? These can be from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee money, or earnings from self-employment.
- If you are married, do both you and your spouse work outside of the home?
- Or, do one of you work outside of the home while the other is a full-time student, has a disability, or is looking for work?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
To claim the credit, you will need to prove the following for all people listed on your tax return:
- Identity and age: such as photo ID, driver’s license, IDNYC, passport, or naturalization certificate.
- Citizenship or immigration status: such as your birth certificate or a U.S. passport.
- Your earned and unearned income (if any): such as a recent pay stub or unemployment benefits statement, pension correspondence, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
- Dependent care cost: Amount of money you paid for your child or dependent’s care.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.