Skip to main content

Tax relief for dependent care

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit | NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

1. How it Works

This tax credit helps working families pay for the care of children, adult dependents, or disabled spouses. You can claim up to $3,000 in expenses for one dependent or $6,000 for more than one when you file your taxes.

  • File your taxes by April 17, 2018
  • The tax credit equals 20-to-35 percent of what you spent on care for a child 12 and under
  • If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
  • Single parents and custodial divorced parents can also qualify for this credit

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:

  • Do you pay someone or an organization to care of your dependent to allow you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) to work or to look for work?
  • Do you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) earn income from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee money, or earnings from self-employment?
  • Is your tax filing status single, married filing jointly, head of household or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child?
  • If you are married, do both you and your spouse work outside of the home, or do one of you work outside of the home while the other is a full-time student, has a disability, or is looking for work?

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip).

You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.

Proof of who you are

hide this list show this list

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Drivers license/official photo ID
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN

Proof of your income

hide this list show this list

For each income source of each income earner, any one document:

Wages & Salary

  • W2 form

Self employment

  • Records of earnings and expenses and/or 1099-Misc

Income from rent or room/board

  • Document that shows amount of income

Child Support/Almony

  • Alimony check stub
  • Child support check stub

Unemployment Income

  • 1099-G

Social Security benefits (SSI, Dependent, Disability, Survivor’s, Retirement)

  • Correspondence from Social Security Administration

Pensions/ Annuities/ IRA

  • 1099-R


  • 1099-DIV
  • 1099-INT

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

The City can help you find a website where you can file your taxes for free.

File online

Apply in person

If you earn $54,000 or less (with children) or $30,000 or less (without children), you may be eligible to get your taxes done in-person for free.

You will need the following forms:

  • Child and Dependent Care Expenses form: Form 2441.
  • U.S. Individual Income Tax Return: Form 1040 or Form 1040A, or U.S. Nonresident Income Tax Return: Form 1040NR.
  • If you received dependent care benefits from your employer, you must complete Part III of Form 2441.

Find a tax prep location

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs website for more information.

Call 311

Ask for Tax Preparation assistance.

Find a VITA or TCE location

Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).

Visit a tax prep location

Visit a tax prep location to get help filing your taxes in person.

Updated June 21, 2018