1. How it Works
This tax credit helps working families pay for the care of children, adult dependents, or disabled spouses. You can claim up to $3,000 in expenses for one dependent or $6,000 for more than one when you file your taxes.
- File your taxes by April 17, 2018
- The tax credit equals 20-to-35 percent of what you spent on care for a child 12 and under
- If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- Single parents and custodial divorced parents can also qualify for this credit
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs website for more information.
Ask for Tax Preparation assistance.
Find a VITA or TCE location
Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).
Visit a tax prep location
Visit a tax prep location to get help filing your taxes in person.
2. Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Do you pay someone or an organization to care of your dependent to allow you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) to work or to look for work?
- Do you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) earn income from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee money, or earnings from self-employment?
- Is your tax filing status single, married filing jointly, head of household or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child?
- If you are married, do both you and your spouse work outside of the home, or do one of you work outside of the home while the other is a full-time student, has a disability, or is looking for work?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.
3. What you need to include
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip).
You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
The City can help you find a website where you can file your taxes for free.
Apply in person
If you earn $54,000 or less (with children) or $30,000 or less (without children), you may be eligible to get your taxes done in-person for free.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.