STAR helps lower property taxes for eligible homeowners who live in New York State school districts.
- There are two types of STAR benefits depending on household income:
- Basic STAR is for homeowners whose total household income is $500,000 or less. The benefit is estimated to be a $293 tax reduction.
- Enhanced STAR is for homeowners 65 and older whose total household income for all owners and spouses who live with them is $92,000 or less. The benefit is estimated to be a $650 tax reduction.
- If you’re eligible for the STAR credit, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings.
- Senior citizens getting Enhanced STAR may also be eligible for the Senior Citizens Homeowners’ Exemption (SCHE).
- You do not need to register for STAR if you are a longtime homeowner with an existing STAR exemption.
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the STAR website for more information.
Email the NYC Department of Finance if you have question about STAR.
Ask about the School Tax Relief Program (STAR).
Call for New York State STAR
Contact the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance at 518-457-2036 for more information about the New York State STAR tax credit.
Visit a center
Find a center to get help in person.
There are two types of STAR benefits: Basic STAR and Enhanced STAR. To be eligible for either, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:
- Is the property the primary home of at least one of the owners?
- Do you live in one of the following types of housing?
- a house
- a condo
- a cooperative apartment
- a manufactured home
- a farmhouse
- a mixed-use property, including apartment buildings (only the owner-occupied portion is eligible)
For Basic STAR:
- The combined income of all owners who live in the home and their spouses must be $500,000 a year or less.
- If you owned your property and received Basic STAR in 2015-16 but later lost the benefit, you can restore the exemption. To restore your Basic STAR, your income must be $250,000 or less.
For Enhanced STAR:
- If you currently receive Basic STAR, you may be eligible for Enhanced STAR if you will be 65 or older in the calendar year in which you apply. The total income of all owners and resident spouses or registered domestic partners cannot exceed $92,000.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
You can apply for Basic STAR with the Department of Finance if you owned your property and received STAR in 2015-16 but later lost the benefit and would like to have it restored.
You can apply for Enhanced STAR (E-STAR) online with the Department of Finance
- if you are a Basic STAR recipients who are eligible for Enhanced STAR,
- if you will be 65 or older in the year which you apply and have had a STAR exemption on your property in 2015-16.
If your income is greater than $250, 000 and less than or equal to $500,000, you can register online for New York State STAR tax credit or by calling 518-457-2036.
If you will be 65 or older in the year which you apply and have had a STAR exemption on your property in 2015-16, you can apply for Enhanced STAR (E-STAR). Apply with the NYC Department of Finance by completing the “STAR to ESTAR” application.
If you owned your property and received Basic STAR in 2015-16 but later lost the benefit, you can apply to restore your STAR exemption by completing the STAR Benefit Restoration application.
If your income is greater than $250,000 and less than or equal to $500,000, you can register online for New York State STAR tax credit or by calling 518-457-2036.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.