STAR provides property tax relief to New York State’s homeowners. It lowers the tax burden on New York residents who live in school districts.
- Basic STAR is for all homeowners and worth about $300 credit, Enhanced STAR is for people 65 and older and is worth about $600
- If you’re eligible for the STAR credit, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings
- Senior citizens getting STAR may also be eligible for the Senior Citizens Homeowners’ Exemption (SCHE)
- You do not need to register for STAR if you are a longtime homeowner with an existing STAR exemption
There are two types of STAR credits: Basic STAR and Enhanced STAR. To be eligible for both, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:
- Is the property the primary home of at least one of the owners?
- Do you live in one of the following types of housing?
- a house
- a condo
- a cooperative apartment
- a manufactured home
- a farm house
- a mixed-use property, including apartment buildings (only the owner-occupied portion is eligible)
For Basic STAR, you should also be able to answer yes to this additional question:
- Is the combined income of all owners who live in the home and their spouses $500,000 a year or less?
For Enhanced STAR, you should also be able to answer yes to these additional questions:
- Will you, or one of your siblings or spouse who live in the home, be 65 or older by December 31st?
- Is the combined income of all owners who live in the home and their spouses $86,000 a year or less?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.