Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Property tax break for veterans

Veterans' Property Tax Exemption | NYC Department of Finance (DOF)

1. How it Works

Veterans exemptions lower the property taxes of qualified veterans, their spouses or un-remarried surviving spouses, and parents of soldiers who died in the line of duty (Gold Star parent).

  • Apply by March 15th for benefits to begin on July 1st of that year.
  • The rate used to calculate the tax reduction depends on the applicant’s veteran status. There are three types: basic, combat, and disabled.

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for Veterans’ Exemption, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions.

  1. Are you the current deeded owner, spouse, or surviving un-remarried widow/widower of the property owner?
  2. Is the property your primary residence?
  3. Are you a veteran who served in the US armed forces during one of the following conflicts?
    • Persian Gulf Conflict (includes the Afghanistan and Iraq Conflicts) – beginning August 2, 1990 to present
    • Vietnam War – November 1, 1955 to May 7, 1975
    • Korean War – June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955
    • World War II – December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
    • World War I – April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

Next section:

3. How to Apply

3. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

Apply online by March 15 for benefits to begin on July 1. If March 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the next business day.

When applying, you will need the borough, block, and lot (BBL) for your home. Use the Property Address Search to get this information.

Apply online

Apply by mail

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the Veterans’ Exemption website for more information.

Email the Department of Finance

Email the Department of Finance if you have questions about this program.

Call 311

Ask about Veterans’ Exemption.


Call 212-NEW-YORK. For TTY or Text Telephone, call 212-639-9675

Last Updated May 22, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.