Qualified Veterans, spouses or their un-remarried surviving spouses; parents of soldiers who died in the line of duty (Gold Star parent) can get a reduction to their property tax.
- Your application needs to be postmarked by March 15 in order for your benefits to start on July 1. If March 15 is on a weekend, then the deadline will be the next business day
- Determine the borough, block, and lot (BBL) for your property using link or checking information on current property tax bill
To be eligible for Veterans’ Exemption, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions.
- Are you the current deeded owner, spouse or surviving un-remarried widow/widower of the property owner?
- Is the property your primary residence?
- Are you a veteran who served in the US armed forces during one of the following conflicts only:
- Persian Gulf Conflict (includes the Afghanistan and Iraq Conflicts) – beginning August 2, 1990 to present
- Vietnam War – February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
- Korean War – June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955
- World War II – December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
- World War I – April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
Apply by mail
- Apply by mail: Download the initial exemption application form and mail it to:
New York City Department of Finance
P.O. BOX 311
Maplewood, NJ 07040-0311
- You will need to submit copies of the required documentation with your application. Applications without all of the required documents cannot be processed.
- Your completed application and all required documents must be postmarked by March 15 (or the next business day if March 15 is on a weekend) for your exemption to begin on July 1 in the same year.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.