Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Tax refund if you paid for child and dependent care

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (CDCC) | Internal Revenue Service (IRS), NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP)

1. How it Works

The Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit reimburses you if you paid for child care or care for an adult dependent. For tax year 2022, filers may be eligible to claim up to $3,000 of the cost of care services for one qualifying person and $6,000 for care services for two or more qualifying persons. You can then be reimbursed for up to 50% of these costs.

  • File a federal and New York State 2022 tax return by April 18, 2023 to claim the credit.
  • Qualified expenses include money paid out of pocket for the care of a qualifying child or children while you work or look for work.
    • This includes the cost of care outside the home, such as at a day care center, or inside your home, such as a babysitter.
  • When you claim this credit when filing a tax return, you can lower the taxes you owe and potentially increase your refund.

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, you should be able to answer yes to these questions:

  1. Did you pay someone or an organization to care for your dependent so that you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) could work or look for work? Qualifying dependents are:
    • a child under age 13 at the time of care;
    • a spouse or dependent who cannot physically or mentally care for themselves.
  2. Did the dependent live with you for more than half the tax year?
  3. Did you (and your spouse if you file taxes jointly) earn income? These can be from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee money, or earnings from self-employment.
  4. Is your tax filing status single, married filing jointly, head of household or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child?
  5. If you are married, do both you and your spouse work outside of the home?
    • Or, do one of you work outside of the home while the other is a full-time student, has a disability, or is looking for work?


Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip).

You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available.

Proof of who you are

  • For each person applying, any one document: Drivers license/official photo ID
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN

Proof of your income

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

File your taxes for free online with NYC Free Tax Prep if your family earned $80,000 or less or if you’re a single filer who earned $56,000 or less in 2022. IRS-certified VITA/TCE volunteer preparers can help you file online, in person, or when you drop off your documents.

File online

Apply by mail

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

More information

See the 2022 Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit FAQ from the IRS.

Learn more about tax credits you can claim.

Find a VITA or TCE location

Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).

Last Updated February 6, 2023

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.