If you lost your job and it was not your fault, you might be able to get unemployment insurance. Unemployment insurance will give you some money, based on what you earned. To get insurance, you must be looking for a new job.
- If you worked in New York State within the last 18 months, you have the right to file a claim for benefits
- You can claim your benefits weekly for up to 26 weeks while you are unemployed
- Requires a valid Social Security Number and government-issued ID card
- It takes three to six weeks from the time you file your claim to receive your first payment
- Apply online or by phone
You may be eligible if you can answer yes to these questions.
- Did you lose your job through no fault of your own (for example: you got laid off)?
- Did you work within the last 18 months?
- Are you ready, willing, and able to work immediately?
- Are you actively seeking work and keep a record (online or written) of your efforts?
- Do you have enough income from your most recent work to establish a claim?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
- Create an account on NY.gov.
- Learn more about how to get a NY.gov ID.
- Login with your new NY.gov ID.
- Follow the instructions to file a claim.
- Submit your application.
- The Department of Labor will review your claim for UI benefits and decide if you qualify.
- You can only file online during the following times:
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m – 7:30 p.m
- Friday: 7:30 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
- Weekends: Saturday 12:00 a.m – Sunday 7:00 p.m.
Apply by phone
Apply over the phone by calling the NYS Department of Labor at 888-209-8124, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.