Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Payments for eligible unemployed adults

NYS Unemployment Insurance (UI) | NYS Department of Labor (NYSDOL)

1. How it Works

If you lost your job and it was not your fault, you might be able to get Unemployment Insurance (UI) payments. UI will give you some money based on what you earned. You must be looking for a new job to get UI.

  • You can file a claim for Unemployment Insurance (UI) if you worked in New York State within the last 18 months but are unemployed now.
  • You can get up to 26 weeks of benefits while you are unemployed.
  • A typical range of weekly UI benefits, depending on past wages, is about $100-$500 per week.
  • Income from unemployment benefits is taxable on your federal and state tax returns.
  • Requires a valid Social Security Number and government-issued ID card.

2. Determine your eligibility

You may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) if you:

  • lost your job through no fault of your own (for example, you got laid off).
  • worked within the last 18 months and are you ready, willing, and able to work immediately.
  • are actively seeking work and keep a record (online or written) of your efforts.
  • you earned enough income from your most recent work to establish a claim.
  • are authorized to work in the US and were authorized to work when you lost your job.

File a claim even if you’re not sure if you are eligible.

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

These are documents you need to apply. You can apply without all of these documents. However, missing information can delay your first payment.

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your driver license or Motor Vehicle ID card number (if you have either one)
  • Your complete mailing address and zip code
  • A phone number where you can be reached from 8 am – 5 pm, Monday –Friday
  • Your Alien Registration card number (if you are not a U.S. Citizen and have a card)
  • Names and addresses of all your employers for the last 18 months, including those in other states
  • Employer Registration number or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of your most recent employer (FEIN is on your W-2 forms)
  • Your copies of forms SF8 and SF50, if you were a federal employee
  • Your most recent separation form (DD 214), for military service

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

The easiest way to apply for unemployment benefits is online on the NYS DOL website. If you are found eligible for benefits, you will need to certify your benefits every week.

Apply Online

Apply by phone

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the NYS Unemployment Insurance website for more information.

Call 311

Ask for New York State Unemployment Insurance assistance.

Last Updated May 22, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.