1. How it Works
People with disabilities who own homes can get property tax lowered on their primary residence through DHE. The reduction is from five percent of their tax to half of it. How much the tax is reduced depends on how much the family earns.
- Applications must be postmarked by January 16th for benefits to begin on July 1st each year
- All owners must be persons with disabilities unless the property is owned by your spouse or by siblings, who do not need to be disabled
- If your property qualifies for DHE and the Senior Citizen Homeowner Exemption (SCHE), you will only be granted SCHE, you cannot get both
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the DHE website to learn more.
If you have questions, email DHE for more information.
Ask for Disabled Homeowners’ Exemption assistance.
Visit an office
Visit a Department of Finance Business Center (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m – 4:30 p.m) to get help in person.
2. Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for DHE, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:
- Are all owners persons with disabilities, OR are other owners the spouses or siblings of the person(s) with disabilities?
- Is the property your primary residence?
- Is the combined income for all owners less than or equal to $58,399 per year?
- Income does NOT include SSI or Cash Assistance benefits.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.
3. What you need to include
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
There is no online application at this time.
Apply by mail
- Download and complete the initial exemption application. You can also contact 311 for an application to be mailed to you.
- You will be be asked provide the borough, block, and lot (BBL) for your home. You can use the Property Address Search to determine this.
- Gather your required documents and include them with your application. Your application will not be processed without them.
- Mail your completed application and required documents to:
New York City Department of Finance
Maplewood, NJ 07040-031
- Applications must be postmarked by January 16th for your benefit to begin on July 1 in the same year.
Apply in person
Apply in person at a Department of Finance Business Center.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.