1. How it Works
EITC can provide a tax refund of up to $8,463 (combined federal, state and City). The credit is meant for low- to moderate-income working individuals and couples, particularly those with children. You claim the credit when you file your taxes.
- File your taxes by April 17, 2018
- To qualify you must have earned income from working for someone or from running or owning a business or farm and meet basic rules
- You’ll need to file your federal and New York State tax returns to claim EITC
- If you qualify for the EITC, the City can help you file your taxes for free with NYC Free Tax prep
- If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- If you owe the government money, be aware that late filing penalties may apply for filing after April 17, 2018
- Refunds for filers who claim EITC will not be distributed until February 15
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs website for more information.
Ask for tax preparation assistance.
Find a VITA or TCE location
Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).
Visit a tax prep location
Visit a tax prep location to get help filing your taxes in person.
2. Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for EITC, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:
- Do you have a valid Social Security Number?
- Will you file a tax return this year?
- Did you earn less than $3,450 from investments?
- If you don’t have any qualifying children, are you between 25 and 65 years old?
EITC also looks at your income from the previous year to determine if you are eligible. You can use ACCESS NYC to screen to see if you might be eligible.
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.
3. What you need to include
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip).
You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes. You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
The City can help you find a website where you can file your taxes for free.
Apply in person
If you earn $54,000 or less (with children) or $30,000 or less (without children), you may be eligible to get your taxes done in-person for free.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.