Skip to main content

Homeless shelters and services

Homeless Intake Shelters & Drop-In Centers | NYC Department of Homeless Services (DHS)

1. How it Works

If you’re homeless or have a housing crisis, you can apply for shelter or get help to avoid shelter altogether.

  • Homeless Intake Centers offer services to help you avoid homelessness and provide temporary shelter as a last resort. Once you’re in shelter, you’ll need to:
    • develop a plan to move into permanent housing
    • apply for and maintain eligibility for Public Assistance
    • find and stay in a job if you are able to work
    • follow shelter rules
  • Homeless Drop-In Centers (DICs) offer services to help you transition off the street including:
    • hot meals and clothing
    • showers and laundry facilities
    • counseling, case management services, and connecting you to health care
    • help finding a job or applying for benefits
    • help finding transitional housing options for you if you choose
  • Immigration status is not considered when going to Homeless Intake Centers or Homeless Drop-In Centers.
  • Interpreter assistance is available if you don’t speak English.

2. Determine your eligibility

To see if you’re eligible for shelter, visit an intake center. Workers will interview you about your living situation to see if you’re eligible. In some cases, workers might offer you services to help you avoid shelter.

Homeless drop-in centers are available to everyone.

3. What you need to include

Here are documents you’ll need:

Families with children under 21, pregnant women, or families with pregnant women

When going to the intake center, you must have ID for all members of your household such as:

  • Any form of ID with a picture and proof of age, such as a welfare ID card, green card, driver’s license, passport or visa, or picture employment card
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Medicaid card
  • Identity card in the Public Assistance system
  • If working, your most recent pay stub

Family workers are available at the PATH intake center to help you get your information and documents from government agencies.

Adult families (with no children under 21)

Single adults (18 or older)

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply in person

To apply for shelter, you’ll need to go to an intake center first. Make sure you go to the right intake center depending on your age or family situation. Intake centers are open 24/7, including holidays. Bring your documents with you.

Single Adult Men (18 or older)

30th Street Intake Center For Men
400-430 East 30th Street (at 1st Avenue), New York, NY 10016

Single Adult Women (18 or older)

Franklin Shelter For Women
1122 Franklin Avenue
Bronx, NY 10456

Adult families (with no children under 21)

Adult Family Intake Center (AFIC)
400-430 East 30th Street (corner of 1st Avenue)
New York, NY 10016

Families with children younger than 21, pregnant women, or families with pregnant women

Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing Office (PATH)
151 East 151st Street
Bronx, NY 10451

Other Options

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Learn more about different shelter options from DHS.

Call 311

Ask for information about shelter services or directions.

Last Updated May 22, 2024

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.