Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Cash help when you are in need

Cash Assistance | NYC Human Resources Administration

1. How it Works

Your family can get cash if you are in need. The funds come on a debit card that you can use at any ATM or store where EBT cards are accepted.

Update: Return your Cash Assistance 6-month mailer and SNAP periodic report to HRA. Starting July 2021, if you do not return your Cash Assistance mailer or SNAP periodic report, your case will close.

  • Requires proof of identity, where you live, income, and citizenship status
  • You must be a US citizen or have satisfactory immigration status to receive Cash Assistance; a worker will help you learn your status when you apply
  • If you are able to work, you will either need to be working, in an education or training program, or participate in a program assigned to you in order to get Cash Assistance
  • You can get money for emergencies, including: eviction, energy and utility bills, natural disasters, and your safety or health
  • Apply in person, or have an interview at home if you are homebound

2. Determine your eligibility

This program looks at several things to decide if you are eligible. Some of them include:

  • how much money you earn
  • how much money you receive from benefits
  • how many people live in your house
  • resources like cash or a checking account
  • your citizenship or immigration status

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

Proof of who you are

For each person applying, any one document:

One of these:

  • Photo I.D.
  • Driver’s license
  • U.S. passport
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Hospital or doctor’s records
  • Adoption papers

If you don’t have one of the above list, bring two of these:

  • Statement from another person
  • Birth or baptismal certificate
  • Validated Social Security Number (SSN)

Proof of where you live

Proof of your income

Proof of your expenses

Proof of citizenship/immigration status

Proof of your marital status

Proof of your relationship

Proof of your household composition/size

Proof of someone's absence in your family (Death of Parent(s))

To verify absent parent information

Proof of your resources

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

During the public health emergency, you can submit a Cash Assistance application or recertification online using ACCESS HRA.

  • Visit ACCESS HRA or use the ACCESS HRA mobile app to submit your application.
  • You can apply for all Cash Assistance, SNAP, Medicaid Renewal at the same time through the Cash Assistance application on ACCESS HRA.

Apply or Recertify online

Apply by mail

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the Cash Assistance website to learn more about this program.

Immigrants can make an appointment with ActionNYC to receive assistance.

Call 311

Ask for Cash Assistance.

Call the HRA Infoline

Call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 for more information.

Visit a Job Center

Find an open HRA Job Center near you.

Last Updated Monday, November 29th, 9:33am

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.