Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Tax relief for parents

Child Tax Credit (CTC) | NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

1. How it Works

CTC allows people with qualifying children to lessen their federal income tax by up to $2,000. You can claim both CTC and the credit for Child and Dependent Care expenses.

  • File your taxes by July 15, 2020. Effective 3/20/2020 income tax filing deadline is extended.
  • To qualify, a child or dependent must be a US citizen or resident and have a Social Security number. They also must have lived with you for over half the year.
  • You can claim your child, stepchild, adopted child, foster child, grandchild, or great-grandchild
  • If you have siblings, step-siblings, or half-siblings that live with you, you can also claim them
  • If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
  • Refunds for filers who claim CTC will not be distributed until February 15

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for Child Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:

  • Do you have a child or dependent who is under 17 years old?
  • Is your dependent a US citizen, a US national, or a permanent resident?
  • Has your dependent lived with you for over half of the year?
  • Is your dependent claimed on your tax return?

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip). You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.

Proof of who you are

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Driver license or official photo ID
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social Security Card or ITIN

Proof of your income

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

The City can help you find a website where you can file your taxes for free.

File online

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs website for more information.

Immigrants can make an appointment with ActionNYC to receive assistance.

Call 311

Ask for tax preparation assistance.

Find a VITA or TCE location

Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).

Visit a tax prep location

Visit a tax prep location to get help filing your taxes in person.

Last Updated Thursday, July 30th, 1:08pm