CTC allows people with qualifying children to lessen their federal income tax by up to $1,733. You can claim both CTC and the credit for Child and Dependent Care expenses.
- File your taxes by April 15, 2019
- The child or dependent must be a US citizen or resident and must have lived with you for over half the year to qualify
- You can claim your child, stepchild, adopted child, foster child, grandchild, or great-grandchild
- If you have siblings, step-siblings, or half-siblings that live with you, you can also claim them
- If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- Refunds for filers who claim CTC will not be distributed until February 15
To be eligible for Child Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Do you have a child or dependent who is under 17 years old?
- Is your dependent a US citizen, a US national, or a permanent resident?
- Has your dependent lived with you for over half of the year?
- Is your dependent claimed on your tax return?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip). You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.