1. How it Works
CTC allows people with qualifying children to lessen their federal income tax by up to $1,000. You can claim both CTC and the credit for Child and Dependent Care expenses.
- File your taxes by April 17, 2018
- The child or dependent must be a US citizen or resident and must have lived with you for over half the year to qualify
- You can claim your child, stepchild, adopted child, foster child, grandchild, or great-grandchild
- If you have siblings, step-siblings, or half-siblings that live with you, you can also claim them
- If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
- Refunds for filers who claim CTC will not be distributed until February 15
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs website for more information.
Ask for tax preparation assistance.
Find a VITA or TCE location
Call 800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).
Visit a tax prep location
Visit a tax prep location to get help filing your taxes in person.
2. Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for Child Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Do you have a child or dependent who is under 17 years old?
- Is your dependent a US citizen, a US national, or a permanent resident?
- Has your dependent lived with you for over half of the year?
- Is your dependent claimed on your tax return?
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.
3. What you need to include
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.
If you want to receive your refund through direct deposit, you will need banking information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip). You should bring a copy of last year’s return, if it is available. The income documents listed are necessary to file your taxes.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
The City can help you find a website where you can file your taxes for free.
Apply in person
If you earn $54,000 or less (with children) or $30,000 or less (without children), you may be eligible to get your taxes done in-person for free.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.