The Cooling Assistance benefit helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800.
- The Cooling Assistance benefit opens May 1, 2019. The deadline to submit applications is August 30, 2019.
- Air conditioners are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
- Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every ten years.
- If eligible, a household can get only one air conditioner or one fan, and the cost can’t go above $800 including installation fees.
- The benefit is not applied to an electric bill or issued as a cash benefit.
You may be eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit if:
- You have a medical condition that gets worse with heat, which you can verify with a letter from a medical professional
- You and the people you live with are US citizens or have satisfactory immigration status
- You don’t have a working air conditioner that is newer than five years
- You do not live in subsidized housing, such as NYCHA and Section 8, where heating costs are included in the rent bill
- You meet one of the following income requirements:
- You receive SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance, or Code A Supplemental Security Income.
- Your family is at or under the income following guidelines.
|Family size||Income in a year||Income in a month||Income in a week|
|For each additional person, add:||$6,450||$540||$124|
It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.
This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.