The Cooling Assistance benefit helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800.
- The Cooling Assistance benefit opens May 1, 2019. The deadline to submit applications is August 30, 2019.
- Air conditioners are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
- Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every ten years.
- If eligible, a household can get only one air conditioner or one fan, and the cost can’t go above $800 including installation fees.
- The benefit is not applied to an electric bill or issued as a cash benefit.
You may be eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit if:
- You have a medical condition that gets worse with heat, which you can verify with a letter from a medical professional
- You and the people you live with are US citizens or have satisfactory immigration status
- You don’t have a working air conditioner that is newer than five years
- You do not live in subsidized housing, such as NYCHA and Section 8, where heating costs are included in the rent bill
- You meet one of the following income requirements:
- You receive SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance, or Code A Supplemental Security Income.
- Your family is at or under the income following guidelines.
|Family size||Income in a year||Income in a month||Income in a week|
|For each additional person, add:||$6,450||$540||$124|
- If you received a regular HEAP benefit during the current season, documents you provided for it will be used to determine your Cooling Assistance eligibility along with what you submitted on the short application form.
- If you did not apply for the HEAP benefit(s) during the current season but you are currently receiving Temporary Assistance (TA) or SNAP benefits, your eligibility for Cooling Assistance benefit will be based on the information in your TA or SNAP case.
- Follow the regular HEAP’s procedure at “APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS” appendix to prove the information you stated on your application when using the regular HEAP application form.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.