The Cooling Assistance benefit helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800.
- Applications are closed for the summer of 2022.
- Air conditioners are given on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
- If an air conditioner cannot be safely installed, a fan will be provided.
- Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every five years.
You are eligible if all these apply to you:
- Someone in your household is a U.S. Citizen or has satisfactory immigration status.
- You do not have a working air conditioner. Or, the one you have is five years old or older.
- You did not get a HEAP-funded air conditioner in the last five years.
- One of these:
- You get SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance (TA), or Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone).
- You’re getting a Regular HEAP benefit of $21 or more in the current program year and live in government subsidized housing (like NYCHA or Section 8) with heat included in your rent.
- Your household’s gross monthly income is at or below the guidelines in this table:
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Monthly Income|
|For each additional person||Add $568|
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?