Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Help with rent for families with children

Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Supplement (FHEPS) | NYC Department of Homeless Services (DHS), NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA)

1. How it Works

FHEPS pays some or all of the rent of families who have been evicted, are facing eviction, or have lost housing due to domestic violence. Families must be receiving Cash Assistance (CA) to be eligible. Families who have lost housing because of health or safety issues, or from certain court decisions may also be eligible for FHEPS.

  • You can use FHEPS to remain in your home, move within New York City, or move out of shelter if you have already lost your home.
  • You must be able to remain in the home you find for at least 12 months.
  • Many families will have their entire rent covered by FHEPS and their Cash Assistance shelter allowance.
    • The amount FHEPS will pay depends on your household’s income and the number of people in your household.
  • You may have to pay part of the rent if:
    • You or someone you share your home with has income.
    • Your household includes someone who is not required to be on your Cash Assistance case, such as someone who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • FHEPS can help you keep your current housing by paying a part of unpaid late rent.
  • The FHEPS payment will stop if any of the following happens:
    • Your Cash Assistance case closes.
    • Your family no longer has a child under 18 years old.
    • Your family no longer a child under 19 years old who is a full-time student regularly attending high school or a vocational or technical training program.

2. Determine your eligibility

  1. Your family must have one of the following:
    • A child under 18 years of age
    • A child under 19 years of age who is enrolled full-time in high school or a vocational or technical training program
    • A pregnant person
  2. One of these must also apply to your family:
  3. Your family must also meet one of the following:
    • You are in HRA shelter.
    • You are in DHS shelter and eligible for HRA shelter.
    • You are in DHS shelter and were evicted* in NYC sometime in the year before you entered shelter.
    • You are currently being evicted or were evicted* in NYC within the last 12 months.

*Evicted can mean:

  • An eviction proceeding against you or the person on the lease for your home.
  • A foreclosure action for your building or home.
  • A City agency said that you must leave your building or home because of health or safety reasons.
  • A landlord has issued you a rent demand letter and threatened an eviction for non-payment of rent.

Next section:

3. How to Apply

3. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply in person

  • If you are not in a shelter and at risk of eviction or homelessness and are not getting Cash Assistance, apply for Cash Assistance.
    • To apply online, visit or use the ACCESS HRA mobile app to submit your application.
    • You may also apply by mail or in person. Visit the Cash Assistance guide to learn how.
    • Call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 if you have a medical or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to apply for Cash Assistance.
  • If you are already getting Cash Assistance and are at risk of eviction or homelessness, request a special grant to help you pay arrears.
    • To apply online, visit or use the ACCESS HRA mobile app and submit a special grant request. Do not submit a new application.
  • If you are in a shelter, your shelter housing specialist / case manager will explain FHEPS and help you search for an apartment.
    • Families in shelter who are approved for FHEPS may be eligible to receive a furniture allowance and moving assistance.
    • If you are in the community and need FHEPS to help you move, contact your local Homebase Provider to schedule an appointment.

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Learn more about FHEPS.

Call 311

If you’re at risk of eviction or homelessness, call 311 and ask about a Homebase location closest to your address, what to bring, and what you can expect at your meeting.

Call HRA

Families who have left an HRA shelter should call HRA at 929-221-7270 to be connected to their local community-based nonresidential program.

Last Updated October 11, 2023

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.