1. How it Works
If you have a disability that makes it hard to use accessible buses or the subway, you can apply for Access-A-Ride. AAR operates 24/7, 365 days a year, throughout the five boroughs of NYC. A vehicle, specific to your needs, will pick you up and take you to your destination.
- The price is the same as full fare on public transportation
- AAR may take up to 21 days to process your application after your in-person assessment
- A subscription service is available if you travel to the same places at the same time of day at least once each week
- Some customers require the assistance of a personal care attendant (PCA) who performs personal duties that drivers are not allowed to do during travel. Personal care attendants ride for free
- Some AAR customers may request an AAR MetroCard that can be used for four free public transportation rides a day on public buses and trains
2. How to apply
Here are your options.
Apply in person
- Make an appointment by calling 877-337-2017 and pressing 1 when prompted.
- When you schedule your appointment, let the staff know if you need:
- material in large print, Braille, or recorded format
- a sign language interpreter
- a personal care attendant to travel with you
- telephonic interpretation services
- After you book your appointment you will get an application package in the mail. The package will include the application, a letter about your appointment, and instructions on round-trip transportation to the testing center.
- When scheduling transportation, mention if you are traveling with a personal care attendant.
- Call 877-337-2017 (prompt #1) if you haven’t received your AAR eligibility by mail.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.