Skip to main content
Family Services

Help for adults in danger of abuse, neglect or exploitation

Adult Protective Services (APS) | NYC Human Resources Administration

1. How it Works

APS helps adults in danger of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

If you or someone you know needs help, refer them to APS by calling 212-630-1853 or emailing with their name and contact information.

  • Anyone can refer an adult to APS. You can refer yourself if you need.
    • Referrals can be made anonymously.
  • Adults who may need a referral to APS might find it hard to meet their basic needs like food, shelter, or health care because of:
    • self-neglect – which may be due to disability.
    • abuse – could be physical, verbal, sexual, financial, etc.
    • neglect – due to self-neglect or inadequate care by others.
    • financial exploitation – someone is manipulating them for financial gain or stealing from them.
  • APS caseworkers will review your case and make a plan of support. Support might include:
    • visiting your home to assess your needs and investigate reports of abuse, neglect, or exploitation
    • helping you apply for public benefits
    • referrals for psychiatric and/or medical examination and ongoing care
    • referrals to the NYPD and District Attorney to address allegations of exploitation and abuse
    • identifying alternative living arrangements
    • petitioning Housing Court for a Guardian ad Litem to assist with eviction prevention
    • petitioning Supreme Court for Community Guardians to manage financial and domestic affairs
    • heavy-duty cleaning services
  • Call 911 in an emergency or life-threatening situation where a person needs immediate help.

2. Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for APS, you should be able to answer yes to the following questions:

  • Are you 18 or older?
  • Do you have a physical or mental disability?
  • Are you unable to manage your own resources, carry out daily activities, or protect yourself from dangerous situations without help from others?
  • Do you have no one else who is willing and able to help you responsibly?

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

The HRA website has more information about APS.

Call 311

Ask for Adult Protective Services.

Call APS

Call APS at 212-630-1853 if you have questions about the program or to make a referral.

Call 911

If there is an emergency or life-threatening situation and a person needs immediate help.

Last Updated Thursday, December 16th, 9:47am

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.