1. How it Works
Fair Fares NYC helps low-income New Yorkers save 50% on public transportation including subway fares, eligible bus fares, and Access-A-Ride paratransit trips.
- Options for subways and buses include Pay-Per-Ride, 7-Day (Weekly), and 30-Day (Monthly) Unlimited Ride.
- Access-A-Ride customers do not use a Fair Fares NYC MetroCard. Instead, their discounts are applied automatically.
- You should get a Fair Fares NYC MetroCard in the mail within three weeks if your application is approved.
RelatedCash & Expenses Everyone Families Immigrants NYCHA residents People with disabilities Pregnant & new parents Students
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the Fair Fares NYC website for more information about the program.
Call 311 if you need help or have any questions about the Fair Fares NYC program.
2. Determine your eligibility
You may be eligible if you answer yes to these questions:
- Do you live in New York City?
- Are you 18-64 years old?
- Do you have a household income at or below these amounts?
|Family size||Yearly income||Monthly income||Weekly income|
|For each additional person, add:||$5,140||$428||$99|
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
3. What you need to include
You will need documents that prove your identity, age, residency, and income. See the Fair Fares NYC List of Suggested Documentation.
4. How to apply
Here are your options.
Apply online at nyc.gov/fairfares and then download the ACCESS HRA mobile app to submit required documents.
Apply in person
Apply in person at a Fair Fares NYC office.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.