Skip to main content
Cash & Expenses

Money to buy food

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | NYC Human Resources Administration

1. How it Works

Get help paying for groceries with SNAP. SNAP benefits are sometimes called food stamps. They come on a debit card that you can use at many grocery stores and farmers markets.

Update: Return your Cash Assistance 6-month mailer and SNAP periodic report to HRA. Starting July 2021, if you do not return your Cash Assistance mailer or SNAP periodic report, your case will close.

  • The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 temporarily expands SNAP College student eligibility rules by amending the allowable exemptions to the work requirement in 2 additional ways:
    • College students eligible to participate in state or federal work-study, regardless of whether they are actively employed or participating in work-study may be eligible for SNAP
    • College students with “expected family contributions” of $0 may be eligible for SNAP, if otherwise eligible.
  • You can apply for Cash Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid Renewal all at the same time through the Cash Assistance application on ACCESS HRA.
  • If you are eligible, you will receive your benefits within 30 days.
  • You must be a US citizen or have satisfactory immigration status to receive SNAP; a worker will help you determine your status when you apply.
  • Requires proof of identity, where you live, and income.
  • You can allow someone who knows your household situation to apply for you.
  • Apply online, in person, by fax, or by mail.
  • You may have to complete an interview after you submit your application. An HRA worker will call you if they need more information.
  • All NYCHA residents and SNAP (food stamp) recipients who are 16 years and older are eligible for a discounted Citi Bike membership. For $5 per month, you’ll get unlimited 45-minute rides and access to thousands of bikes across Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey City.

2. Determine your eligibility

This program looks at several things to decide if you are eligible. They include:

  • how much money you earn
  • how much money you receive from benefits
  • how many people are in your house
  • your citizenship or immigration status

Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.

Am I Eligible?

3. What you need to include

It’s important to include the right documents when you apply. Your documents show whether the program is right for you.

This page can help you choose the right documents for your application.

Proof of who you are

For each person applying, any one document:

  • Driver license or official photo ID
  • U.S. Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate or another religious certificate
  • Social Security Card for dependents
  • Social security Card or ITIN
  • Marriage records
  • Medicaid card
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Official birth records
  • Official school records
  • Adoption records
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Other official record showing birth date

Proof of where you live

Proof of your income

Proof of your expenses

Proof of citizenship/immigration status

Proof of your resources

Proof of your disability status

Proof of school attendance

Proof of having health insurance

Proof of paid or unpaid Medical bills

Proof of your non-custodial parent information

Next section:

4. How to Apply

4. How to apply

Here are your options.

Apply online

You can apply for Cash Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid Renewal all at the same time through the Cash Assistance application on ACCESS HRA.

  1. Go to ACCESS HRA.
  2. Create an ACCESS HRA account or log in to an existing one.
  3. Fill out the SNAP application and submit it.
  4. Send your documents to HRA in one of the following ways.
    • Scan your documents using the NYC HRA Document Upload app available for free on the iTunes Store (for iPhones) or the GooglePlay Store (for Android phones).
    • Mail copies of your documents to: PO Box 29008, Brooklyn, NY, 11202-9816.
    • Take your documents to your local Community Based Organizations (CBOs) to submit to HRA.
  5. After you submit your application, you will be contacted to do an eligibility interview. You can do your interview over the telephone without having to come into a SNAP center.
  6. You can check the status of your application by going to ACCESS HRA.
  7. You will need to recertify for SNAP once every year. The SNAP office will mail you a recertification packet for you to complete and mail back to HRA or recertify online on ACCESS HRA. Once you submit your recertification, you will be able to set up your preferred interview date and time by calling the On Demand interview phone line at 718-SNAP-Now (718-762-7669).

Apply online

Apply by mail

Apply by phone

Apply in person

Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.

More ways to get help with this program

Visit the website

Visit the SNAP website to learn more about this program.

Immigrants can make an appointment with ActionNYC to receive assistance.

Call 311

Ask for SNAP.

Call the SNAP Infoline

Call the SNAP Infoline at 718-557-1399 for more information.

Visit a SNAP Center or Community Organization

Find a SNAP center near you.

Find your local community-based organization.

Last Updated Wednesday, September 29th, 12:33pm

Stay updated on benefits

Get occasional emails about benefits news, upcoming enrollment periods, and deadlines. Translations are available in 11 languages.