Get help paying for groceries with SNAP. SNAP benefits are sometimes called food stamps. They come on a debit card that you can use at many grocery stores and farmers markets.
- You can apply for Cash Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid Renewal all at the same time through the Cash Assistance application on ACCESS HRA.
- If you are eligible, you will receive your benefits within 30 days.
- You must be a US citizen or have satisfactory immigration status to receive SNAP.
- You can allow someone who knows your household situation to apply for you.
- You may have to complete an interview after you submit your application. An HRA worker will call you if they need more information.
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the SNAP website to learn more about this program.
Ask for SNAP.
Call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 for more information.
This program looks at several things to decide if you are eligible. They include:
- how much money you earn
- how much money you receive from benefits
- how many people are in your house
- your citizenship or immigration status
Take a short survey to see if you might be eligible for this or 30 other programs.Am I Eligible?
See the SNAP document guide to see the documents you’ll need.
- Apply online using ACCESS HRA. You can apply for Cash Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid Renewal all at the same time.
- Scan your documents using the NYC HRA Document Upload app available for free on the iTunes Store (for iPhones) or the Google Play Store (for Android phones).
- After you submit your application, you will need to do an eligibility interview. You can do your interview over the telephone without having to come into a SNAP center.
- Check the status of your application by going to ACCESS HRA.
- You will need to recertify for SNAP once every year. The SNAP office will mail you a recertification packet for you to complete and mail back to HRA. You can also recertify online on ACCESS HRA. Once you submit your recertification, you will be able to set up your preferred interview date and time by calling 718-SNAP-Now (718-762-7669).
- Print a paper application, pick one up from a SNAP Center, or call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 to have a paper application mailed to you.
- Gather the documents you’ll need to include with your application.
- Drop off your completed application at a SNAP Center near you. You can make copies of your documents at the center.
- You can also apply for SNAP at a community-based organization (CBO) in your neighborhood. Experts can help you submit your application and the necessary documents.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.