The Office of Child Support Services (OCSS) makes children the priority through helping mothers, fathers and guardians in opening and maintaining child support cases. A child can get child support until age 21 even if the other parent isn’t involved in the child’s life. Parents who pay child support can get help finding a job and managing their child support debt. Other services are also available.
- Pay It Off (March 1- 15, 2024) – Reduce your Child Support Debt Twice as Fast
- Pay It Off is a time-limited program that allows noncustodial parents to pay off child support debt owed to the NYC Department of Social Services (DSS) twice as fast.
- Make a minimum payment of $500 toward your DSS child support debt and receive $1,000 or more in total debt reduction.
- Sign up for the Arrears Credit Program (ACP) and receive an additional reduction of up to $2,500.
- If you have a DSS money judgment, pay it in full to eliminate all the interest.
- Learn more at https://nyc.gov/payitoff
Office of Child Support Services
- You don’t have to be a citizen to get this service. You won’t be asked about your immigration status.
- This service doesn’t help with custody or visitation but it can guide you to services that do, such as mediation.
- Get a child support order even if the other parent can’t afford to pay right now. They can get help finding work and may qualify for financial protections.
- Parents who are behind on their child support payments may qualify for a program to lower their debt.
- Noncustodial parents can also get connected to job services if they are unemployed or underemployed.
- Avoid extra credit card fees: make child support payments on the ACCESS HRA Child Support mobile app instead of the NYS Child Support website.
- If you’re a custodial parent applying for or get cash assistance on your child’s behalf – not responding to your child support notice or missing a child support appointment might lead to:
- your Cash Assistance benefit being reduced by 25%
- loss of Medicaid coverage for yourself
- loss of eligibility for some rental assistance programs.
- Modifying Orders through Stipulation (MOTS) is a program that can reduce a child support order based on both parents’ incomes.
- MOTS uses the same guidelines as Family Court. The agreement is then reviewed in Family Court with all parties present.
- A modified order is usually issued after one hearing.
- For assistance, please call the phone number on your appointment notice or email OCSS at [email protected]
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the Child Support Services website to learn more about available services.
Visit the Noncustodial Parents page for services available to noncustodial parents, such as work and lowering debt.
Visit the Family Court website for information about custody and visitation.
Email Child Support Services
Email [email protected] to request a customer service phone appointment or get an email response.
Please provide your name, Child Support case number, a description of your concern(s), phone number, and the best time to reach you. Write “Requesting a Customer Service Appointment” in the subject line of your email.
Ask for Child Support.
Call the Helpline
Call NYS Child Support Helpline at 888-208-4485 (or 866-875-9975 if you have trouble hearing) for more information. Automated information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Your Social Security number and PIN are required.
Visit the walk-in center or a borough office
Visit the OCSS Customer Service Walk-in Center:
151 West Broadway, 4th Floor
(between Worth and Thomas Streets)
New York, NY 10013
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM (except holidays)
Visit the OCSS Family Court office in your borough.
To be eligible for child support services, you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Are you a single parent or legal guardian of a child under the age of 21?
- Are you primarily responsible for the child’s day-to-day life?
When you go to your interview, you’ll need to bring the following documents:
- Your completed application
- Your child’s birth certificate
- A recent photo of the other parent is helpful but not required
Apply online using the NYC ACCESS HRA Child Support Mobile App
- Enroll in child support via your phone
- Pay child support by credit, debit or PayPal with no fees
- Complete child support forms and apply to debt reduction programs
- Scan and upload required documents
- Learn more about the mobile app at NYC ACCESS HRA Child Support Mobile App or download the app for free from the App Store (Apple) and Google Play (Android.)
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.