The program helps mothers, fathers, and guardians with child support. People who receive child support can get help collecting it. People who pay child support can get help finding a job and managing their child support debt. Other services are also available.
- You don’t have to be a citizen to get this service, and you won’t be asked about your immigration status.
- This program doesn’t help with custody or visitation but it can guide you to services that do, such as mediation.
- A child can get child support until age 21 even if the other parent isn’t involved in the child’s life.
- You should get a child support order even if you think the other parent can’t afford to pay right now. They can get help finding work and may qualify for financial protections.
- Parents who are behind on their child support payments may qualify for a program to lower their debt.
- Noncustodial parents can also get connected to job services if they are unemployed or underemployed.
- For custodial parents applying for or receiving cash assistance benefits, not responding to a child support notice or missing a child support appointment may result in your Cash Assistance benefit being reduced by 25%, loss of Medicaid coverage for yourself, and loss of eligibility for some rental assistance programs. For assistance, please call the phone number on your appointment notice or email OCSS at email@example.com.
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the Child Support Services website to learn more about available services.
Visit the Noncustodial Parents page for services available to noncustodial parents, such as work and lowering debt.
Visit the Family Court website for information about custody and visitation.
Email Child Support Services
OCSS offices are open. However, due to the pandemic, OCSS encourages clients to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a customer service phone appointment or get an email response.
Please provide your name, Child Support case number, a description of your concern(s), phone number, and the best time to reach you. Write “Requesting a Customer Service Appointment” in the subject line of your email.
Ask for Child Support.
Call the Helpline
Call NYS Child Support Helpline at 888-208-4485 (or 866-875-9975 if you have trouble hearing) for more information. Automated information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Your Social Security number and PIN are required.
Visit the walk-in center or a borough office
Visit the OCSS Customer Service Walk-in Center:
151 West Broadway, 4th Floor
(between Worth and Thomas Streets)
New York, NY 10013
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM (except holidays)
Visit the OCSS Family Court office in your borough.
To be eligible for child support services, you should be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Are you a single parent or legal guardian of a child under the age of 21?
- Are you primarily responsible for the child’s day-to-day life?
When you go to your interview, you’ll need to bring the following documents:
- Your completed application
- Your child’s birth certificate
- A recent photo of the other parent is helpful but not required
Apply online using the NYC Child Support – ACCESS HRA App.
Come back to it later.
We can send you a link to this page to help you get back to it when you’re ready.